Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:18 PM   #1

Well, with three 12yr olds in sports I will never run out of things to shoot.

Here are a couple of shots of my boys ( far right and farleft)from the start of their Cross Country meet.

Funny thing, I was was 20yds away with the sun at my back, set the camera to AV mode and it would not lock in focus. The lens just kept hunting, so I changed to sports mode. I have never used this mode before.

Thanks for looking.

btrips

Attached Images

btrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:19 PM   #2

2nd Pic of Colton taking the lead all the way to the finish.
Attached Images

Old Sep 28, 2007, 3:23 AM   #3
Super Moderator

btrips wrote:
Quote:
Funny thing, I was was 20yds away with the sun at my back, set the camera to AV mode and it would not lock in focus. The lens just kept hunting, so I changed to sports mode. I have never used this mode before.
I think we might have just found out why are getting so few shots in focus. When shooting sports does your focus mode say "One Shot" or "AI Servo". If it is one one shot you are almost never going to get a shot in focus as it will lock (or try to ) and then release the shutter, however by the time the shutter is released the subject will have moved so no longer in focus. By going to sports mode the camera selects AI Servo for you but does not necessarily give the best other settings.

You can sure tell they are twins. I like the first as they leave the start.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 5:27 PM   #4

Mark

I was in Av, Ai servo mode, center point right on their jersey when lens just kept hunting. They were ready to start so I flipped over to sports mode.

Thanks

btrips

Old Sep 30, 2007, 2:45 AM   #5
Super Moderator

In that case not totally sure, I think the only difference in sports mode is that it activates all focus points. I would have thought there was enough contrast for the camera to have focused with the centre focus point as there is the white and red...... hmmmmm anyone else think why it might have been hunting?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 8:23 AM   #6

I have no clue but I shoot everything in AV mode and use the center point, what kind of lens are you using?

Nice pictures
Jobeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 9:19 PM   #7

jobeye,

I was using a Sigma 70-200 2.8 (trying to use Av mode) Never had that happen. I had center point right on nad the lens just kep t hunting.

X-Country is boring to shoot, this was my first try. I can see you have to really get creative. Anyway, if my boys are doing it I am gonna shoot it.

Thanks

btrips