Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:46 AM   #1

Attached 1 picture from todays swim meet

C&C please

TDGM
Attached Images

tdgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2007, 1:43 PM   #2

I think you have a real good action shot here...The only thing I would say do to the picture is bump up the contrast to make the shot pop...IMO, sports photos should jump out at you when you look at it...Grab your eye and make you want to look at it...
:O
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 2:37 PM   #3

Really nice timing here.

I agree with the other comment that it's lacking a little pop - but I don't think it's a contrast issue so much as an issue of the swimmer being underexposed and too much in shadow.

NOw, here's the challenge - if you bump up the exposure in a shot like this the hot spots on the arm wll get much worse. So you have two choices for a shot like this:

1. Bump up the exposure and fix the hot spots in post processing

2. Use flash

As it is, the swimmer is too dull and shadowed. Looks sharp, but flat and shadowed. So I think your timing / framing is good, angle is good and photo seems reasonably sharp. Now you just need to get exposure right. Remember, the face is the most interesting thing in a crawl so that's got to be what is exposed properly, IMO.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 2:38 PM   #4

After taking another look - the skintones on the arm look good, so I'm thinking flash is the way to go for this problem rather than bumping the overal exposure.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 9:43 PM   #5

Thanks John and John for the comments.
Went back and tried to figure out position of swimmer the sun and me. The swimmer was moving away from me and sun was about 11 oclock so that is what lite up the arm so maybe a flash would help the face.
Also went back and looked at image in aperture with my post processing and everything done it is much more appealing image something about the pop was lost in converting the image for the web. Do yiu guys have any suggestions on how to transfer to web that does not lose any quality of the image etc.

Thanks Steve
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:13 PM   #6

Very nice shot! I have never shot swimming. Its has to be hard. Nice Job! Good timing. It reminds me of trying to shoot x-country. Both can be rather dull to capture. Figuring out how to make them seem exciting is also the challenge.

btrips
btrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:51 PM   #7

Thanks btrips Help that the subject is my niece. 1ust be low and understand the stroke. Does help I cn get on the pool decking (right next to the water). Beware watch out for the splash

TDGM
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:57 PM   #8

Thanks btrips Help that the subject is my niece. 1ust be low and understand the stroke. Does help I cn get on the pool decking (right next to the water). Beware watch out for the splash

TDGM