Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 7, 2007, 5:25 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Hi all,

It's always exciting when shooting an activity for the first time and today I was able to do that with RC Cars. I knew I was going to be doing this so got hold of Rob, who is the expert on here for shooting RC, to get some advice which was very helpful but was not able to get results as good as him.

Rob if you are reading this, how on earth do you get the jump shots with them coming straight on as I failed with every attempt at this?!

Anyway, here they are, C & C welcome.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2007, 5:29 PM   #2

Great pictures, Is that smoke coming out of the Lil Dodge Pickup? Did you have to lay down on the ground? Nice timing, real nice.
Jobeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 5:32 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Thanks, yes it is a nitros car so always a bit smokey. They do run some electric at this club but weren't many there today so was either petrol(26cc) or Nitros.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 6:14 PM   #4

I'm guessin the straight on shots he usually gets are done by pre-focusing on the jump area, locking the focus and then waiting for the car to come into frame?
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 6:27 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I forgot to include I was either sitting or kneeling in all of these.

Steven, that was my guess but worth seeing what Rob has to say.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 6:55 PM   #6

Mark,

Nice shots! They look a bit washed out though - a bit on the bright side- maybe bring in the darks a little and up the contrast.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 7:21 PM   #7

I agree John. How about this? My favorite is #2. Wheels spinning away and the body very sharp focus. Great job Mark.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 6:19 AM   #8

Mark, those shots are definetly very good especially considering it was your first time. Personally, I like #2 the best with #4 a close second.

And yes, for taking shots coming straight at me in a jump, I pre-focus on a plain, and then shoot when the car is in the plain. Its good to use a higher shutter speed when doing this as well...about 1/1200 sec. For the side panning shots I tend to use around 1/200 to 1/400sec.

Alsi, I forgot to tell you that I usually run all my rc shots through a script in photoshop. It makes the colors a little "punchy" and also does a few little improvements.. Let me know if you use Photoshop and I will email you the script.

Nice work
RadioControlGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 10:51 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Thanks guys and I agree about the brightness etc. I really should have been shooting manual and fixed the white balance as the vast amount of earth (dirt for those in the US) was giving some funny results.

Rob, I'm going to try again next week and looking forward to give the front jump shot a go. I will be getting CS3 Design Premium this week (perks of working for an Adobe global partner) so if you can ping me over the scrips (and let me know how to get everything working as it will all be new to me).
Old Oct 12, 2007, 1:14 AM   #10

Mark I just emailed you PhotoShop action that I use on my RC pics...let me know if it works out for you.
RadioControlGuy is offline   Reply With Quote