Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:31 PM   #1

Ive been using fill flash for MX racing for quite some time now and recently decided to try itwith football. Keep in mind that Im still experimenting, so any comments are def welcomed, but so far Ive been pleased with the results. So much so that I bought a battery pack tonight. My goal is to provide enough lightwithout creating shadows. This game was shotaround 6pm. Although there was plenty of light around, there were dark shadows on parts of the field, eventually settlingover the whole field. Heres what I came up with: settings-ISO200, f2.8, 1/500sec. flash on D-TTL. Im still getting the feel for this and hope to set it to manual shortly.

DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2007, 2:23 PM   #2

Well you succeeded in reducing shadows, but you also ended up with the down side of using flash - low contrast, flat looking photos. Me thinks you need to cut down quite a bit on the flash output. But keep experimenting - it's always good to try new techniques.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 2:27 PM   #3

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Well you succeeded in reducing shadows, but you also ended up with the down side of using flash - low contrast, flat looking photos. Me thinks you need to cut down quite a bit on the flash output. But keep experimenting - it's always good to try new techniques.
Thanks for the input John, preciate it. Could you elaborate a little on the "flat"comment? I understand the contrast-I always add it in the post process asI have no contrast dialed in within the camera.These were not retouched at all. Thanks again.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote