Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 20, 2007, 6:19 PM   #1

Image from last night game. Have tried to remove noise using Noise Ninja. Would appreciate comments on quality of the pictures and suggestions on post processing. Then I can possible opost someother ones with processing suggestions. Thanks ahead of time.
Attached Images

tdgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2007, 9:01 PM   #2

@nd Photo from Last Night called the Kicker
Attached Images

Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:28 PM   #3

Greetings.

OK the first shot looks like decent action but WAY too much noise reduction applied. Most textrure is gone. Look at the grass in this shot compared to the shot below.

Had the shot been underexposed? You had a 1/800 shutter speed - so either the shot was pretty underexposed and noise came when you corrected the exposure or there shouldn't have been a lot of noise because the lighting was great.

Second shot - not a bad shot to try for - but 1/200 is way too slow of a shutter speed. Keeping ISO at 3200 would have gotten a better 1/400. At that speed there would still be plenty of motion blur in the ball/foot if that's the affect you're looking for. Noise reduction in 2nd shot not as heavy-handed as first so that's good.

Do you have an un-edited version of shot 1 you can post?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:32 AM   #4

HI John
First i would like to say thanks for the comments.

#1 Photo was first attempt at noise reduction so I probable over compensated. Have attached original image with just a raw conversion and no other processing.

#2 is in a series of photos taken at ISO 1600 with flash firing This was third one and the flash was not able to keep up with the camera.

In regards to ISO this is personel but I am not happy with apparent noise in my pictures at 3200 so tried at a lower iso for some of my pictures 31 was at 3200 and 32 at 3200. I was less heavy handed in processing with image #2. Lastly I did not realize till processing that photos wre shot 1/3 underexposed.

Thanks again for any further comments. if you would want to see any further images I have alot more but my biggest problem is keeping the center focus point right on the action because of center of attention is always moving.
Attached Images

Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:41 AM   #5

Here is original of #2 just raw converted.
Attached Images

Old Oct 21, 2007, 1:14 AM   #6

OK,

when using flash - turn off multi-shot. As you've already noticed it can't keep up. So the challenge becomes nailing the FIRST shot since it's the only one you take. With an external battery pack you can get maybe 3 shots but you can also burn out the flash by shooting bursts.

The original shot you posted for #1 doesn't look too noisy. It takes some practice to get the settings right. The key is: don't try to remove ALL noise. We all want to, but a little noise isn't bad - it's preferable to losing all detail in your subject matter.

And yes, I understand about keeping that focus point on your subject - especially with only a 200mm lens (because your subject is often smaller - when the subject is closer and fills the majority of the portrait oriented frame it is much easier to keep a focus point on him.

I don't use noise ninja (I use noiseware pro) so I can't give you any recommendations on the settings but I advise you to play a little more - just pay attention to the detail. Grass is a GREAT detail reference - as are the holes / wrinkles in the jerseys.

By the way - you mentioned a RAW conversion. Did you adjust the exposure in the conversion? If so that will increase the noise levels quite a bit.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 1:55 AM   #7

Thanks John Will use all suggestions and advice. Next game under the lights is in 2 weeks so will post afterwards. Will also review pictures taken last night. I know some were taken with the flash off so i will check them and maybe not use the flash at all. This activity is a little bit more involved then point and shoot but that is sometimes the fun of it (accomplishing a goal ie nice photo).

Again Thanks Steve