Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:53 PM   #1

I've seen questions about shooting through screens, be it net or chain fence. It really is only the subject focus that matters in determining the results. Here are couple files I shot during last spring highschool season.

Olumpus E-300 50-200ZD

Attached Images

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:58 PM   #2

....obviously I do not know how to insert more than one image in the primary entry so here is the second file I intended.

Any help for how to insert more than one image in a post will be very much appreciated.

tnx, boBBrennan

_________

Attached Images

Old Oct 24, 2007, 2:52 AM   #3

Nets are going to be a little trickier because they move. But it isn't just a matter of focus - you want to remove the fence/net entirely. you don't want to see it at all.

Here are a couple of shots taken through a chainlink fence (cage) - just like you would find on a baseball diamond. You can't see the links at all.

So the point isn't just to have your subject in focus - you want to remove the distracting fence/net from the photo entirely. To do this you want your lens right up against the fence (w/o hood) but you want the lens surface and fence to be as close to parallel as possible. The more you introduce an angle the higher likelihood the fence will start to show in the resulting image.

I imagine a net would be more problematic to achieve good results with since it can move but the same principles apply. Try to get the lens closer to the net so it removes it as a distraction.

That's the tough thing about sports shooting - you not only want your subject in crisp focus but you want to eliminate as much as possible distracting elements. A criss-cross of fencing throughout an image is definitely a distracting element.

Give it a try and see how it works for you.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 3:09 AM   #4

on posting multiple photos - it isn't possible to my knowledge when you are uploading the photo to this forum. As far as I know you need a photo hosting site that allows external posts (i.e provides an http address for each photo). In the edit bars above the post editing box there's a symbol like a white piece of paper with two blue and one red circle in it. Clicking on that will bring up a window where you paste the URL to the individual photo. Using this method you can include as many photos in a single post as you want.

For photo hosting I use smugmug - I know pbase also provides individual urls . I'm not sure which of the other hosting sites offer this capability or not though. Hope that helps.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 5:45 AM   #5

I don't know about all of the sites, either, John, but I know that flickr and photobucket also allow URL referenced posting, as well. I've been using flickr for a while now for that purpose, and it's overall good. However, it limits the control of size of image and it strips the EXIF off images.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 9:25 AM   #6

.......thanks JohnG for the further explanation and photos, very good indeed. Still, the point I was attempting to make, for those curious as to how to make this happen, is subject focus. Making it happen to satisfaction requires practice and satisfaction is always to the photographer and the needed result.

In the case of my two photos, I actually wanted the results as happened and used them to demo the affects of focus differences. For both photos I probably was more than 10 feet from the screen. For the school situations I normally shoot I am inside those fence distractions for baseball and football.

You are absolutley correct about the net movement in windy conditions, results are truly unpredictable...but can be interesting so shoot everything at school events.

I have used Smugmug for a long while and have linked to files a couple times.

again, thanks JohnG and Trojansoc for your remarks.

boBBrennan ... http://bobbrennan.smugmug.com/
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:25 AM   #7

....content removed by pgmCoder
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:32 AM   #8

nope - test didn't work. If you use the correct icon you should see the photo appear in the edit post screen before you actually post. When in doubt, click the <preview> button instead of the <send> button
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:38 AM   #9

John.... got it figured out, OPERATOR ERROR!. I was not going through the Smugmug share option for file size URL copy. Instead I was copying the browser URL when viewing the image.

This thread is a bit messy now but I now know how to post multi images(links).

BTW, I looked at your volleyball posts and the images there are just terrific. I likely will upgrade my Olympus E-300 to the new E-3 by end of year and hopefully that will allow me a bit better ISO usage.

tnx agn UR help............ boBBrennan

ps. .....just now read your reply after making this. Right again you are. Now, knowing how Smugmug works this effort gets simple.

SysAnalysts can think alike & get it done .... see my profile.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:47 AM   #10

Bobb ,

You're using the wrong URL. In Smugmug, click on "share photo" button and use one of the URLS for the image size you want to share (hint: the URL will end in -s, -m or -l). I believe you're insterting the URL to a smugmug gallery PAGE which won't work.

By the way - that's also a great thing about smugmug. You don't have to downsize your photos - they do it for you. So I just upload originals and use the medium or large version to display on sites like this. You lose a bit of sharpness (normally you would apply USM after downsizing) but not much - and it's easier than creating your own downsize image file.