Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:16 PM   #1

Well, these will be the last pictures posted from this combo. I have recently sold the 70-200/4L and picked up a 70-200/2.8L. C&C Welcome.

No.1

No.2

No.3

No.4

No.5

No.6

No.7

No.8

No.9

No.10

Entire gallery can be viewed here: http://www.owensbyphoto.com/1104BBGallery/index.html

-Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2007, 2:15 PM   #2

...added morephotos, but be sure to check out the link for a few more shots from the same game.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 4:18 PM   #3

Nick.

Nice job. You're coming along nicely! Technically speaking these photos are a big improvement. The only one that doesn't belong is the first one - not much of interest going on there (no face, slider cut off - basically too late - you want to catch the ball in the air if you can or just as it enters the glove so you stillget a good shot at the face).

A couple other points - you've cropped a couple of these a bit too tight - cutting off a lot of body parts. With a 200mm I'm guessing it was cropping and not initial framing - so try to keep those body parts in. Also - you have these proofed so I'm assuming you're selling your work. If that's the case you have to be careful on framing / cropping - you need to allow for 5x7 and 8x10 prints - these shots are too tight for 8x10. If not selling I'm curious as to the watermark.

Also in regards to selling - need to watch your timing and framing. For instance on shot 4 - both the third baseman and the runner are a bit cut off. Which team were you covering? Or were you covering both? The reason I ask is you want YOUR player to be the subject - you also want to capture the right timing - in this photo the ball is in the glove and the foot is on the bag so no way to tell if safe or out. If out, not likely to sell to the runner and maybe not the defender since it isn't clearly an out. Make sense?

In any event, great job - a real improvement over the first post. Nicely done!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 9:11 PM   #4

Thanks John, Iam attempting to sell them. I kept originals and cropped these, that way I can go back and make the crop correct for the size of print ordered.

As for the team being covered, I have beenfollowing the blue team (Yankees) all season, but I am trying to cover both teams, basically fall ball has been practice for me to gain more knowledge on the subject, just as it is for the players. The real shooting (one team at a time) will come when the Spring season starts.

I understand what you are saying about the unsure out/safe call... I didn't really think about it like that, but you are certainly right. I know I wouldn't want to put a picture of my kid on the wall if he might or might not have been out.

I will certainly watch those body parts... I have 6gb of RAW files from two games earlier tongiht and I will keep everything you have suggested in mind as I sort through them. Thanks a ton for all the help!

Nick
Old Nov 10, 2007, 4:36 PM   #5

No. 5 and 8 are great
Jobeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 12:23 PM   #6

Wow - I like how you captured the action and their expressions. Very clear too.
bruder is offline   Reply With Quote