Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:35 PM   #1

This was the last home game for Byrnes and the win is sending them to Columbia, SCto play for the State Championship.

C & C Welcome

Equipment:

Canon 30d - Sigma 100-300 f4

Attached Images

Redop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:36 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:36 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:37 PM   #4

Attached Images

Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:38 PM   #5

Attached Images

Old Nov 30, 2007, 9:11 AM   #6

shot 1: superb timing. Peak action and it's good action. But the shutter speed hurt you badly here. There's camera shake (look at the people in the background vs shot 2 - looks like you were still panning a bit when you took this) involvedand a bitofmotion blur - combined with a heavy crop results in a soft photo. The jersey number, his hand, the writing on the defender's helmet all are quite fuzzy. But, because it's great action I think it's still a keeper.

Shot 2: useful for seeing how the motion blur of the low shutter speed affected shot 1. But you're past peek action. A shot of the foot hitting is interesting if there's some context - i.e. if you can tell it's in the endzone or it's on the same side you're on and you can see it's close to the out-of-bounds but still in.

shot 3: reasonable sharpness and good exposure. The tough thing with this photo is the framing. The defender is too far away to be of much interest. So I think this photo would have worked better with more IN FRONT of the runner - with him running INTO the frame rather than out of it. Faces and action are always the most interesting aspects to a sports shot. The defender doesn't add much to the action and the runner's face is squeezed at the right end of the frame. So my attentin keeps being drawn to the ball.

shot 4: too soft for such a tight crop. Again I think the shutter speed is the likely culprit. Tough to get sharp shots at 1/160.

shot 5: You can see his face which is good. But the timing is a bit off. To late for the ball - which is out of the frame. And too early for a hit (if one occured).

On the plus side though - look how far you've come this season. But these results are a good illustration of just how difficult night football is. Forget to change your ISO and don't have a 2.8 lens and it's virtually impossible to get great results. The timing and framing are just a matter of continued practice. Not something I would expect to be perfect after just a handful of games. Keep at it. You're on the right track. And you've got a great setup for daytime sports. So my advice is either find a better way to leverage that setup (shoot JV sports or kids - something occuring during the day) or find a way to get the needed 2.8 lens for next season.

In the mean time, do you plan on doing any winter sports?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:14 AM   #7

John

Thanks for the tips. I didnt get any chances to do any winter sports. Football season is here again and I have hardly used my camera for anything but portait shots. Man that is just sad huh.

However, I did get to go to a NASCAR race in Bristol in March of this year. It was a lot of fun. My seats were at the very top of the Allison Terrace and under the box seats but it was awesome. I will have to post some.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:49 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Good to see you posting again and I'm sure we would all love to see some more shots from you.

Are you going to get to shoot some day football games as these would allow you to use the lovely 100-300 f4 to it's optimum?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:57 AM   #9

Thanks, I havent been on here in a while.

Yes I plan on shooting some daytime football when we have some games. Not sure how much I will be able to do, got a little girl due Oct 1st
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:59 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Wow congratulations!!!! Oh, all the best people are born on Oct 1st so hopefully she will be another one LOL.

At least with a new child you won't be short of subjects to shoot.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote