Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 8, 2007, 12:24 AM   #1

Ah, back to a gym with decent lighting As always C&C welcome...

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2007, 12:33 PM   #2

Great, sharp shots John G, #6,9 & 10 stand out for me! though there all havefantastic timing. well done. Kind regards Graham
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 6:00 AM   #3

John,

Lot of good shots. Must be nice having gyms with decent lighting:lol:
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 9:36 AM   #4

Not a bad shot in the bunch....nice work, John! I assume they were shot with the 85mm f1.8? I notice that you're getting quite a bit of good action around the free-throw line and its extensions.

Favorites? #3--Good shot of the offensive player, but I really like the energy in the defender's body. #9 & #10--Always nice to see splitting two defenders #11--the block is well caught

Less so? #1, #12, & #13--All are excellent, just not as interesting as the others

We talk about improvement as a result of criticism of our own photos, but it also helps to be able to study shots such as these to see what works well. Like k1par though, I envy you those lights, lol.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 9:56 AM   #5

Thanks all.

Yes it is nice having decent lighting :blah: These were all shot with 85mm 1.8 at 1/500 f2.0 ISO 2000 - so about 2/3 stops brighter than the other gym I shoot.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:06 AM   #6

John,

Do you ever shoot the 85mm wide open at 1.8? From memory, it seems that you normally shoot at 2.0. I understand that it's not as big of a deal now since you have ISO 6400 at your disposal, but for the guys where our world still stops at ISO 3200 it is still 1/3 stop.

Great photos of course too, congrats on the nice comments over at FM

Chris
PhotoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:29 AM   #7

Chris,

I have shot wide open at 1.8 before. To be totally honest, I think it's psychological that I want to use 2.0 instead of 1.8. I don't think it's a matter of the lens being so much sharper at 2.0 or the DOF being that much greater. I really do think it's psychological. Probably doesn't help you much. But if you're asking: Would I hesitate to use 1.8 - the answer is "no" I would not hesitate.

As for FM - that board has some fenominal sports shooters. The problem is, it can be VERY tough to get actual feedback from anyone there. So I don't post there very often any more. I find the niche sports - like swimming and gymnastics have some very good shooters that are still willing to help people out. But the mainstream sports: football, basketball, basebell etc - it's reall tough to get the pros there to provide feedback.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 3:14 PM   #8

7, 10, 11-Amazing! The rest of them, just awesome. LOL.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:43 PM   #9

All great shots as always .. I've (hopefully) got my 85mm f1.8 on order - if Santa's good to me... Just out of curiosity - where were you taking these shots from? It seems like you were right on the court... Oh, and how much cropping/noise reduction (noise ninja? neat image?)did you do with these?

thanks for sharing!

Jason

jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 6:29 AM   #10

Jason,

most of my shots are taken from the baseline. I may take a few from the side of the court (first row of seats) but typically not many. The 85 doesn't have much reach (20 feet) so you really need to be shooting from the floor if you want shots around the hoop.

Because of the fact the 85 will only accurately focus to about 20 feet and with the crop factor of the DSLRs, there isn't a lot of cropping to be done. Most of my cropping is really just to frame the shot better.

Noise reduction software is necessary. I use noiseware pro. The key to needing less noise reduction software is getting the exposure correct in camera. If you do that, you'll keep the noise to a minimum.