Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 15, 2007, 3:12 PM   #1

Finally got this baby in my grubby little hands. This is the first game Ive shot with it and used it for the sole purpose of figuring out the metering and AF options-I have a long way to go!! Coming from the D1x the options seem daunting. These were all shot with the 70-200 @f2.8. I realize theres noise but I purposefully left it in to show exactly how much. In camera adjustments:contrast +1,NR 0, Sharpening setting 5 out of 9 possible, Auto WB. PP w/NX: fine tune WB(cooled slightly), Cropped and resized and sharpened. I dont care for the NX noise reduction-not enough adjustability-so I will be looking at Noise Ninja.

C&C always welcomed-keeping in mind my focus at this shoot.

1-ISO 5600 1/400sec +/3EV

2-ISO 4500 1/400

3-ISO 5000 1/400

DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:16 PM   #2

Those are nice shots and if I can find only one nitpick is that they are ever so slightly overexposed (in my opinion).

I'm not sure you really need ISO 5600 for basketball.

Maybe try ISO 3200 and shoot at 1/250th or 1/500, maybe open up the aperture one stop if you need the light.

With your F2.8 lens I hope your shooting WIDE OPEN.

If you shoot RAW format you can always adjust the photo one stop brighter using software post-pocess.(ie RAWSHOOTER)
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2007, 11:56 AM   #3

Thanks for looking, 'preciate it. Ive found that 1/250 causes the extremeties to blurr. If I recall, I had bumped up the EV on this set-this was the 1st shoot with the new camera soI was trying different settings. And yes, they were shot at f2.8.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 12:05 PM   #4

Yup, probably just shoot 1/500th shutter priority and adjust ISO accordingly.

I usually don't do any adjustments "in camera", but prefer to adjust after the fact.

Don't know if your shooting RAW format, but for me, RAW gives me up to about 1 stop of adjustment after the fact without affecting quality too much.

Of course, it depends what you want to do with these pictures. I used to shoot sports for a local newspaper, so they'd get reproduced at about 200 DPI, maybe 2 column widths, so overall quality of the photo wasn't too critical.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2007, 6:17 PM   #5

Thanks again Terry! I do all my shooting in RAW and keep in-camera adjustments to a minimum.