Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:29 PM   #1

Trying out my new 40D with 24-70L lens.

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:31 PM   #2

Pretty happy with the results, although I should have used shutter priority for better stop action.

Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 2:39 PM   #3

Walter C wrote:
Quote:
Pretty happy with the results, although I should have used shutter priority for better stop action.
Hi Walter.

Glad you're enjoying the new toys. I'd love to get a 24-70 but just don't have enough uses to justify it yet since most HS gyms aren't bright enough for 2.8 below ISO 3200.

In any event, back to your photos. I like the action in the first shot - nice capture.

The second shot has some decent action but the background is just too distracting. Both pictures struggle with this. And, quite honestly, in a skate park it's going to be tough to combat this. But here are a couple suggestions for next session:

1. Minimize backgrounds. The first way to do this is to open your aperture up - shoot at 2.8. With a 24-70 you'll still have plenty of DOF for your subject at 2.8. Second, choose your shooting position with the background in mind. For example, both shots have background in focus but the first is less distracting because of the background subject and it's proximity. Try to avoid angles where you're shooting at the subject with a fence right behind them if you can. For instance in shot 2 if you were able to move to your left and shoot with the fence to your left and the open space BEHIND your son you would lessen the distraction of the fence.

2. Get shutter speeds up by shooting aperture priority not shutter priority. Shutter priority is the mode to use when you want a specifically LOW shutter speed. When you want to stop action all you want is a MINIMUM shutter speed - you don't care if you get an even better shutter speed. And if you shoot in AV mode and wide open at 2.8 and select a shutter speed that's too high you end up with underexposed shots.

3. If you can plan with your subject do so so that you're shooting from his 'open' side so you get a good view of his face. Faces are more interesting than butts for this type of work. And especially for a sport like this you want to get as low as possible (preferably lying down if you can manage it) - that gets you several benefits: 1. a better view of the face since they're looking down, 2. the more you shoot up the more you highlight the aspect of height in the jump 3. the more you shoot up the more you reduce distracting backgrounds.

Just some things to consider if you want to take additional shots of him skateboarding.

Thanks for sharing these. It's always cool to see something different.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote