Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:35 PM   #1

Just back from volleyball practice - club season is just getting started. I figured since my daughter is practicing, I might as well too. I can't wait for Santa to bring my 85mm f1.8, but in the meantime I used the old 75-300mm f4-5.6 for these. The first two pictures taken Av mode with Ap wide open and Exposure compensation set to -2. Both were 1/400 or 1/500 at f4 - all at around 85mm...

I did some basic adjustments using Picasa and used the Noiseware free version for noise reduction. Here are the before and after:

The last one was in manual mode at 1/320 f4

I'm still working on positioning in order to get faces better in the action. I'm particularly interest in suggestions for framing, better setup, any other comments or suggestions you might have.

thanks,

Jason

jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2007, 2:53 PM   #2

On positioning:

Realize your soon-to-arrrive 85mm lens is good for only about 20 feet. So that completely tosses out the positioning you're currently using. Given that lens, I like to position myself behind the net judge for a lot of the action (digs, bumps, sets, some kills). If you want a thru/over the net it will have to be from just a few feet down the line. Officials get antsy about photogs being there though and you might run into resistance. But for shooting from behind the court you want 135mm.Another option is to shoot from above (in the stands or a catwalk) but again you need something like a 200mm lens for that - certainly more than 85mm.

On capturing shots. You want faces - that's what makes a quality shot. OCCASIONALLY the action is so great a face isn't needed. But for a shot like the set - those are plentiful in a game so you want to get one whereher arm isn't in the way. Typically better taken from the net areasince the setter typically faces the side of the court when setting:

For kill shots: if you want to shoot kills, you want to highlight the striker not the defenders. Whether you can do this effectively through the net depends on how high they get. In any event you want them to be the subject, not necessarily the defenders.

If it's the blockers you are shooting you want their faces not their back sides:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 7:24 PM   #3

Hi John, thanks for the tips - I'm sure they'll come in handy.

When you say that lens is only good for about 20 feet, does that mean it won't focus outside 20 feet, or the autofocus isn't as accurate outside 20 feet?
jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 8:54 PM   #4

autofocus gets pretty inaccurate
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote