Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Aug 12, 2008, 7:40 PM   #21

itsme000 wrote:
Quote:
Isn't it very hard to shoot in gyms using available light?

Most gyms are illuminated with metal halide lights running on 60 Hz, so the shutter speed has to be slow enough to avoid the effect of power line cycle (unless the lights are staggered across different phases on the polyphase circuit)
Well, I guess there are a few aspects to this. First and foremost I've been pretty steadfast in this thread that external flash is very beneficial for wrestling. So it isn't available light.

But I also shoot a lot of basketball, volleyball and gymnastics and shoot all of them available light. In the past 3 years I've probably shot in 15 different gyms. Only one of them was not possible to use a custom white balance due to cycling lights. In most HS gyms at least around me - the light fields overlap enough that WB isn't a major issue. You'll get SOME difference but not a lot. The key I've found is taking a custom WB shot with a slow shutter speed (1/60 or so)so you get an average temperature. So, bottom line - in my experience it's the exception rather than the rule at HS level that WB is an issue.

Some available light shots from different gyms:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:10 PM   #22
q95

Photocarp,

For your shots, what camera settings did you use: exposure, shutter speed, ISO, aperture. I just looked at some shotsand I don't understand why he was using various settings. They were ok, manynon-flash and not with the best of lens. However, he seemed to consistently use slower shutter speeds and narrower aperture than I would have thought one would use ... but he hasn't taken many wrestling pictures, so he probably learned what he needs to modify.

Thanks for all of your info so far.

q95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:27 AM   #23

q95 wrote:
Quote:
However, he seemed to consistently use slower shutter speeds and narrower aperture than I would have thought one would use
Well, if it isn't the best of lenses then he probably CANT use a wide aperture. If you aren't using flash and you're using a narrow aperture you are stuck with slow shutter speeds if you want correct exposure.

In reality, depending on the shot a lot of wrestling can be shot at slower shutter speeds and still get acceptable shots. The problem, however, is there ARE shots where the wrestlers are moving and you won't get those shots without faster shutter speeds or flash (again, flash can take the place of shutter speeds when freezing motion).

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:31 AM   #24

q95,
When I'm using the flash in a perfect world I'll shoot at 1/200s f/7.1 ISO400. However, I'm constantly mixing up my settings depending on the available light. I prefer to set the aperture between f/5 and f/7.1; this gives me a little depth of field allowing for most of the wrestlers' bodies to be in focus and blurring of the background. Of the pictures that I posted earlier the one without a flash was the first time I shot in that gym during the day. The windows let in loads of diffuse light yet I still opened up to f/3.5 and shot at 1/250s. For the podium shot you can see that I tried something different. All were shot with the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM.

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II, Aperture Value: f/5, Flash: Compulsory Flash, Focal Length: 125 mm, ISO 400, Shutter Speed Value: 1/200 sec

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II, Aperture Value: f/5, Flash: Compulsory Flash, Focal Length: 200 mm, ISO 400, Shutter Speed Value: 1/160 sec

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II, Aperture Value: f/3.5, Flash: No Flash, Focal Length: 200 mm, ISO 800, Shutter Speed Value: 1/250 sec

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II, Aperture Value: f/7.1, Flash: Compulsory Flash, Focal Length: 70 mm, ISO 400, Shutter Speed Value: 1/200 sec

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II, Aperture Value: f/5.6, Flash: Compulsory Flash, Focal Length: 130 mm, ISO 500, Shutter Speed Value: 1/250 sec

One additional shot that is my personal favorite:

Canon EOS 20D, Aperture Value: f/4, Flash: Compulsory Flash, Focal Length: 70 mm, ISO 400, Shutter Speed Value: 1/200 sec
That's my son! I got it moments after he took third place in the region during his junior year. If I may brag for a second, he holds the school records for one season and career wins and pins and this fall he's off to wrestle for Roger Williams Univ. I wonder how he'll do if his dad isn't matside with a camera.
PhotoCarp is offline   Reply With Quote