Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 24, 2007, 12:30 PM   #1

Season's Greetings from Texas! I will be photographing a local basketball tourney, and am having trouble getting sharp, crisp photos. When I shoot I use a Canon 40D with a Canon 50mm F 1.4 lens set on ISO 1250 Picture Style Standard with cent point focusing and AI Servo.

I also, have a Canon 17-40 mm F 4, 24-70mm F 2.8, and 70-200mm F 2.8 with a Canon 550 EX Flash.

Any help would be graciously appreciated.

Best,
Jerry
TXPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2007, 2:28 PM   #2

Jerry,

Can you post some un-edited shots (i.e. no crop or anything, just resized) to illustrate your problem?

The 50mm 1.4 is a very sharp lens. But if you're shooting at 1.4 the DOF iz razor thin. So that may be the problem. Another common problem is trying to shoot action too far away (the lens should focus accurately to maybe 15 feet after which the camera will have issues getting sharp focus).

The EXIF will also help me determine if you can use your 2.8 lenses. They're great lenses but in most HS gyms around me I require ISO 3200 to use 2.8 without the flash. I absolutely HATE using flash because it carries it's own problems (harsh shadows, red eye, recycle time that limits you to one-shot, battery drain - especially for a tournament).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 12:44 PM   #3

John,

Thank you for your help, I have included a photo for your review.

Jerry

Old Dec 25, 2007, 12:51 PM   #4

John,

Thank you for your help. I'm having trouble attaching a photo. Can I e-mail you the image?

Jerry
Old Dec 25, 2007, 7:42 PM   #5

Youll need a hosting site for your photo, I use photobucket, which is free. Upload them there then enlargethe photoand right click on it, click on "properties" and hilite the address and copy it. Then in your thread type in [img][/img]. paste the address in between the2 setsof brackets and it should come up.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote