Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 21, 2008, 2:16 PM   #1

Id like your opinions, especially on whether or not the first shot works. I added some noise to heighten the mood I was trying to achieve. Pass or Fail?
This kid is a very good player, much better than his B team status is worthy of-normally. He struggled with an undiagnosed blood infection early on and although he has recoverd to a great degree health wise, he's not in the shape he needs to be by this time of the year. His mind is trying to make plays his body hasnt the energy to do and its frustrating him to no end. Its also frustrating to those of us that know what he's capable of. This particular game-cross town rivalry, couldve dominated any kid on the opposing team last year, but after giving it his all, has to watch the closing minutes from the sidelines as his team faces an inevitable loss.

D3, 24-70 @4.5, 1/125 sec, ISO 6400

70-200@2.8, 1/400sec, ISO 6400, +.3EV

Thanks for looking!
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2008, 3:22 PM   #2

i think all are awesome! i like how you tell the story, kinda like a photojournalist. it makes the viewer/reader understand what was going on, more so than just the photos! excellent work!
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 3:58 PM   #3

The first shot definitely "works". I like your choice of the angle used and I think the gracy scale made it more effective. Adding noise gives it that newspaper look. The other two shots are also very good, although both look over exposed, a little too wshed out for my tastebut I really like the first one, Telling the story added a lot to it. Well done.

k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:49 AM   #4

Yep I really like 1. Nice job there on the concept and execution - but the story is disjointed. Ref is calling a foul in the background and the player on the bench has nothing to do with it. There isn't much emotion showing on his face. So I love the tone you've created with the processing and angle but ultimately the story of the photo doesn't play out for me. Still a great idea though!!!

Shot 2: again, like the fact you'r trying different angles but not sure what the story is.

shot 3: nice timing! But the framing is off. The main subject the eye is drawn to is the defender facing the camera and he's out of focus. The best story in this shot is the defender knocking the ball loose so if it were framed on him I think the shot would work really well. I realize you're shooting the offensive team but his face is blockedm so you can't see his expression. So the timing is great but the angle and framing really take away from what is a greatly timed shot.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 9:14 AM   #5

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
[shadow=red]Thanks for looking guys, and John, thanks for the C&C.[/shadow]
Quote:
Yep I really like 1. Nice job there on the concept and execution - but the story is disjointed. Ref is calling a foul in the background and the player on the bench has nothing to do with it. There isn't much emotion showing on his face. So I love the tone you've created with the processing and angle but ultimately the story of the photo doesn't play out for me. Still a great idea though!!![shadow=red]I was trying to use the scorebard to set up the story. The play in the background was secondary, as if to say...the game goes on while he's not contributing. If I have to explain it, I guess I failed LOL[/shadow]
Quote:
Shot 2: again, like the fact you'r trying different angles but not sure what the story is.[shadow=red]1/2 time, team's down, heads hung low.. [/shadow]
Quote:
shot 3: nice timing! But the framing is off. The main subject the eye is drawn to is the defender facing the camera and he's out of focus. The best story in this shot is the defender knocking the ball loose so if it were framed on him I think the shot would work really well. I realize you're shooting the offensive team but his face is blockedm so you can't see his expression. So the timing is great but the angle and framing really take away from what is a greatly timed shot.
Quote:

Thanks for looking guys,I appreciate it. And thanks for the C&CJohn, helpful as usual.As far as the story relating to the photo. I was thinking the scoreboard did that. Teams down and
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Shot 2: again, like the fact you'r trying different angles but not sure what the story is.
1/2 time, team's down, heads hung low..
Here's why it didn't work then - only one head is down the others are all turned toward the person at the end. 5 heads turned toward him, and one head down. So I understand the emotion you were trying to capture but your subjects didn't cooperate. You don't see the mass dejection of heads down. 1 out of 7. Please don't misunderstand me I'm not trying to beat you up here. But you're emotionally attached to the team - just like your story on the first photo. Your projecting emotion into the photo that your subjects aren't demonstrating. Doesn't mean they're not feeling it just that the images here didn't capture that emotion. Now, you chose a shot were you had all these players in the frame - since most aren't displaying the emotion you tried to capture I didn't get the message. So the suggestion might be to switch tactics - if your subjects don't cooperate then single one out - then the emphasis becomes the eyes of that one player:

Here I had the same problem - tough loss and I wanted emotion. You can see the girls on either side really weren't conveying much emotion so I zoomed in a bit more on the one girl that was showing some emotion:

Now I'll be the first to admit I'm TERRIBLE about capturing emotion shots. Really an area I need to improve. But it's no different than action shots in that you have to ask yourself - does every subject in the frame contribute to what I'm trying to say? And it helps when you can do it with a cold disjoint - i.e. as a photographer and not a fan. So that's why your locker room shot didn't work for me was on balance the majority of subjects weren't conveying any discernable emotion. Sorry for rambling :G Just trying to help.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 2:23 PM   #7

No, def no need to be sorry, I needed that to fully understand what you were trying to say. I get your point now! Im thick skinned and willing to take a "beating" in order to improve. At the risk of sounding like a suck up, your assistance on this website has been the single biggest factor in me getting where I am today. Im not saying Ive reached the pinnacle, but I should dig up my 1st posts to demonstrate my improvement. I thank you for that. I gladly pass on the knowledge youve given me to others that seek it. And now, Im entering into a world beyond shutter speeds, and f-stops, a world foreign to me soI welcome any and all comments from everyone. OK, enough, before your head gets too big.