In action.

My teams player coach during a time out

Only cropped slightly.

C&C welcome

Frisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2008, 2:52 PM   #2

Hey Frisky,

I like the framing/timing of the first shot. And exposure & WB look fine. But the focus is just off. I'm guessing back focused as the closest thing to being in-focus is the 21 on the defender's jersey.

Like the second shot - my suggestion there is: the player/coach is what's interesting the guys standing over him aren't. So that's a shot where you want to frame tightly on the coach to emphasise the emotion.

You're definitely going in the right direction with these shots.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:20 AM   #3

John G , thanks for the advice.I got a few of the team in the shot to show (my fellow fans that didn't travel) how cheesed off they looked.

Two more shots from the same game

The coach shooting

one of the bigger guys on the team , got two free shots after he recovered.

Nice to shoot with a bit of light!
Frisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:40 AM   #4

Frisky,

on your second post of shots

shot 1 might be an interesting shot from another angle, but there are no faces from this angle so not really a keeper.

Shot 2 - you might actually have some camera shake going on here - the shot is a bit OOF and the rim/net looks like there might be some camera shake. And again, we have an angle issue as well as a timing one. There's no ball in the frame, so from that standpoint the timing is off. What COULD have made this interesting is the player's reaction to being clubbed - but we can't see the contact and we can't clearly see his face (both angle and blur).

Taking all these shots together, the biggest area I would suggest you work on is getting sharper focus. You'll be helped greatly by getting your shutter speeds up to. 1/320 is too slow. You want 1/400 at a minimum.

So, just to be sure - you should be in ai-servo, using center focus point only and you should be placing that focus point on the face of the player you want to shoot.

Additionally you should not be shooting from more than 20 feet away.

Once you get the focus thing down, then it's a matter of discarding right off the bat any shot that's not in great focus.

There are basically 2 aspects to a good sports shot:

1. Is it technically correct (correct exposure, correct white balance, sharp)

2. Is it interesting

With basketball,interesting comes down to a photo needing:

a. Faces (clear, well exposed, not blurry faces)

b. The ball

c. Action or emotion (in which case you don't need the ball)

d. is the action filling the frame
You've got the exposure and WB working in these shots now you need the sharpness aspect of the technical side. And on the interesting side you're tight which is good. Now you need the faces, angles and composition. The biggest thing you have to realize on this aspect is even if great action happens and even if you capture it perfectly the shot could still bea throw away because you just weren't in a good spot or had the right angle. No way to predict that - just one of the many frustrations about sports shooting - YOU could do everything right but your subjects don't cooperate. In basketball that is often arms or balls blocking the view of a face.

Keep at it. You're making great progress here. But it takes time and practice. Keep at it and you'll get there.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 7:02 AM   #5

Frisky, really impressive improvement in your shots since you started posting basketball. Good job!

John, again you come up with something that I'm going to have to copy and print, both as a reminder to myself, and as a teaching tool for my soccer shooter. Athough your four points regarding "interesting" shots are directed to basketball, they are valid for any sports shot. Thanks.

Paul

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
There are basically 2 aspects to a good sports shot:

1. Is it technically correct (correct exposure, correct white balance, sharp)

2. Is it interesting

With basketball,interesting comes down to a photo needing:

a. Faces (clear, well exposed, not blurry faces)

b. The ball

c. Action or emotion (in which case you don't need the ball)

d. is the action filling the frame
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 2:59 PM   #6

Thanks Paul. Yeah, for the low level we're all shooting (HS and below) I think it does apply. The higher up you go I think there are some more opportunities for atmosphere shots.

It's also interesting to read from people that shoot some of the mountain biking or skiing or sports like that - where the backgrounds are an important part of the shot. People like the location to be recognizable in the shot.

And, in a post on another site about BMX I have since learned that shots from the back are often preferred - there was an explanation from a long time BMX shooter on why but it escapes me. So if I were to ever go out and shoot the sport I would have never guessed to capture that angle. So I guess my point is - it's always best to find someone whose doing that type of photography.