Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:31 PM   #1

Here are a few shots of my 6 year old learning the Coolest Game on Ice....

Chris
chrisg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2008, 6:56 PM   #2

Chris,

You've got some nice shots here. Exposure and sharpness are good. But you've got a lot of uninteresting dead space and because these do not appear to be cropped the framing is a bit unintersting - i.e. subject dead in the center. I realize almost every sports shot starts out that way but that's where cropping comes in. Still I would suggest framing tighter to begin with so you don't lose detail with the crop.

You're off to a very good start though!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:05 PM   #3

Thanks John, that is a good point. I appreciate the input.

Chris
Old Jan 24, 2008, 5:54 AM   #4

I agree with JohnG, with the exception of the third one with him back to. I like the wide open feell of the photo. Take the last shot you have posted tighten the crop right up and you will have a great shot. Keep it up!

Phil

k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 6:13 AM   #5

Little to add to what others have said--great start, would like tighter framing, etc.--except to add that I like the fact you've done a really nice job in capturing his expression in photos 2 & 5. Look forward to more posts.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 8:28 AM   #6

I really appreciate the critiques, and I agree with them, it is always good to have another few sets of eyes. I have never been great at cropping, and realize that it can make or break a shot. Very quickly I cropped one of these photos, and I do think it makes for a better picture. Thanks for the compliments, and any other pointers are appreciated.

Chris

(Tried to tighten it up, and move him off center at the same time. Had a teacher that used to say when shooting sports, leave some image in front of the player, like he has somewhere to go.)
Old Jan 24, 2008, 8:35 AM   #7

Yep - big improvement. Really draws attention to the face now. Maybe just a bit further back in the frame though. Think rule-of-thirds - you want his face to be the area of focus - and also eliminate more unnecessary space behind him. If you have a choice it's always better to have the empty space for your subject to 'look' or 'move' into rather than behind. Right now his face is pretty close to the middle of the frame.

Now, in a lot of cases you won't be able to control that. But in this specific case you do have the ability to control that. So just try a crop with him slid slightly back in the frame and see if you notice a difference. In any event the crop you've included is a really nice shot.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 1:40 PM   #8

Nothing to add, but just wanted say great job!
jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote