Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:11 PM   #1

first sport event after i upgrade my dslr body,please kindly advise

More
highschloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2008, 3:36 AM   #2
Super Moderator

All these people with D300's, come on Canon, close the gap!

You have some good action here but a couple of pointers to enhance what you are doing.

Frame tighter (what lens do you have, I'm guessing 80-200mm f2.8 or 70-200mm f2.8?)

If that is the case then about 20-30 max is where you should be capturing the action.... outside of that you will just be too far away and focus will be soft and also not tight enough. Don't back off on the zoom too early, with the shot where the guy is handing off the opposition, you are at 180mm so have anther 20mm left so could have used this to get in on the action more. Try to have your subject filling more than 2/3 of the frame in camera if possible as this is going to give you the best results. Most of us at first feel that we are too tight in camera and are concerned that we will cut limbs off, but with practise you will find this is not the case and your results will be a lot better.

Shoot with a wider aperture. Your first shots are at f7.1, so if you have a 2.8 lens get out to 2.8 or 3.2 (it's a little sharper at 3.2), this will give your subject more punch as the background is thrown out of focus. This will also allow a higher shutter speed which is desirable. It's good you are shooting in manual so don't need to say anything on that.

Happy shooting!!

Mark

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 5:08 AM   #3

highschloser, first off, everything that Mark said. I think all of us start too wide, and the most dramatic improvement we can make is when we get in tighter with our framing. At the point of action in your photos, you've done a really nice job of capturing intensity. Tighter framing will only make that jump out, and it will remove distracting elements from your photos. An example of this is #6, where you have captured an exciting defensive play with the defender hanging on by a shirt-tail, but the player to the left adds nothing to the shot, only distracts.

Second, you've done an excellent job with timing. Your shots are at points of interesting action, even for someone like me who knows nothing of rugby. Shot #4 is downright intriguing. I don't think I've ever seen pass receivers lifted in this manner by their mates. Similarly, the tackle in #1 and the ball-carrier fending off the tackle in #7 are both good shots that could be exceptional were they tighter.

Mark--it's good to see you back. We've been missing your participation.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 5:14 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Mark--it's good to see you back. We've been missing your participation.

Paul
Thanks Paul, I might even shoot some sport today for the first time in ages LOL.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:10 AM   #5

Thanks Trojansoc and Mark!!

i think my shot is a bit soft since i cropped too much!

and most of the player face is not sharp, that is a common failing for beginer?!?!i believed.

as mark said, i havent used the zoom lens well also . I will tried to handle it ,

thanks !!!

highschloser is offline   Reply With Quote