Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:29 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Don't all fall off of your seats, but I'm back!!

I shot my first hockey match of 2008 and boy did I feel stupid!! I really need to check that everything is charged before going to a game. I got there and my 30D was showing almost flat (2 batteries) but I gave it a bash and took another 2 with me. Not long into the match the first 2 died so I popped in the spares (should have been full.... well so I thought) and they were dead too. I wondered back to the car (game still on) and got out my 5D which was in the bag as a backup and switched the batteries out of that in to the 30D and still nothing. So six batteries all dead!! Next as I carry the AA holders to work in the 30D and 5D I gave one of those a go, but I think that with 1.2v batteries there is not enough juice...... so, lastly I thought "I was shooting with the 5D last night for a studio set and didn't use too much so that should be fine so tried the batteries in the 5D and that seems to be either less sensitive or less power hunger (no idea why) than the 30D. So basically I shot the majority of the game with the 5D rather than the 30D, and you know what? I loved it!!!! The full frame, the larger view finder, nicer handling and oh the lovely shallow dof..... if only it did more than 3fps, but I'm temped to use this more for sport than the 30D....... so where does this leave me with my next camera that I was looking at getting in the next month? I was 90% sure that a 40D would be the beast to do what I wanted but I'm being pulled in different directions now. Should I get a 1D MkIII or see what eventually comes out as a 5D replacement... nope, too far away!! This could be expensive.

Anyway, lessons learnt and new camera looming (possibly) here are a few from today. Sorry they are in different posts as I've got a new laptop (editing is soooo fast now) and haven't put the ftp software on it yet.

So very strangely these are shot with Canon 5D, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 and flat batteries!!

Enjoy,

Mark
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:29 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:30 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Attached Images