Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 1, 2008, 8:37 PM   #1

Some shots from Wednesday night. Great game - down to the last second and a 1 point victory.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2008, 11:37 PM   #2

Great shots John. 1,7 & 9 are my favorites.

All have great face expresions.

Great timing on shot 8 got the ball right on the fingertip.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 6:32 AM   #3

As usual John, some very nice shots. A general comment about the story line that emerges from this sequence--#50 for the Indians appears from this sequence to have been a shot-blocking machine. You have three apparent blocks, or near blocks, in just ten photos. A player like that makes for some good photo ops. The grimace on the face of the shooter in #5 makes you think that she's grimacing in anticipation because it's happened before and is about to happen again. If you're selling to the parents of the white team, #5 is not so attractive a shot, but it's a great journalistic action shot.

This is the same team for whom you shot the gymnastics meet the other day. (I won't forget that distracting bear on the dismount shots, lol.) Is it the same gym? I ask this because of the lighting on the fan areas. On all of these shots, it appears the stands are lighted almost equally with the court itself, leading to a fairly bright DOF. It's not so bright as to be distracting, but it's something that stood out to me when I first looked at your shots last night while I was processing some shots taken in an auditorium where the stands had low lighting, producing a starkly dark background.

My favorites of this group are #3 and #7. The timing on both is superb, and each of them contains one outstanding facial expression--in one case the shot blocker, and in the other the girl who's having it stuffed back to her.

The composition of the drive shots #2 & #6 is really nice. There's balance in the elements of the shot and a clear point of action. I don't really like #1 because it seems to lack this element. All of the action is on the left side of the frame, which is crowded, while the right half has empty space in the background.

As Mike mentioned, the timing on #8 is really cool. It and #4 are both great shots for selling. #9 and #10 are solid shots, but I don't think as interesting as some of the others.

I'm assuming all were shot with the 85mm f1.8? Nice sequence--thanks for sharing.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 6:43 AM   #4

thanks guys. Paul - yes the lights over the stands are the same as on the court. I really appreciate you taking the time to give all the feedbak - it's greatly appreciated. The shots were with 70-200 2.8 at ISO 3200. And yes it's the same gym / school as gymnastics.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 7:18 AM   #5

Hi John, As i have said before BB is not on my curriculum,(i wish),however, I'll add my 10 cents worth:-). Pics 2,3,7 & 9 appear to be too "buisy" for my liking, (lack of DOF).

#6 has great action (did you have the defenders heel in the original?)

~10 really needs the edge of a hoop!

Did you capture some emotion shots as it came down to the wire??. Kind regards Graham.
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 7:28 AM   #6

PS just off to shoot some footy in snowyblizzard conditions(can't believe the games still on:?) if there's any pics worthy i'll put em up:lol:. Kind regards Graham.
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 8:47 PM   #7

These are of incredible quality!! What camera and lens did you use? Do you think it's possible to get shots anything at all like these with my Nikon D40 and 55-200 Nikkor AF-S VR lens? (probably not, just thought I'd ask!)
efuggetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 8:14 AM   #8

efuggetta wrote:
Quote:
Do you think it's possible to get shots anything at all like these with my Nikon D40 and 55-200 Nikkor AF-S VR lens? (probably not, just thought I'd ask!)
Unfortunately the answer is no. Not for indoor basketball at HS or below. The lens you have is going to be too slow to focus and at f4-5.6 wont give you fast enough shutter speeds. You would need an f2.0 lens to get HS basketball shots. Unfortunately that means a prime (non zoom) lens. And unfortunately that's where the D40 really hurts you because it doesn't have a focus motor - none of the nikon short primes will autofocus on that body.