Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 10, 2008, 4:47 PM   #11

I find that while the f2.8 sigma is fine when using my d50, it is too soft when used with my d80. I usually stop down to f3.2 or f3.5 if the weather allows it.

Your shots are coming along very nicely Colin!

I bet there's no other club in the world that has TWO shooters on steves forums! lol

StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 4:58 PM   #12
Super Moderator

I guess the two of you were standing pretty close to each other and shooting at almost the same split second. Colin, your shot 3 is only a 1/1000th of a second different to this one http://www.livilions.co.uk/gallery/f...e090208211.jpgwith Steven standing a bit to your left.

This is cool and great to see the same thing from a different angle. I managed to do this once at a car event where we had the same shot from opposite sides of the track.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 5:35 PM   #13

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
So I'm not the only one with a new camera then....... how long have you had it? Were you using the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 (I'm trying to remember what you've said in the past). I would have thought even at f2.8 you should get sharp results on the D300 and the 70-200,have you done any focus adjustment for that lens. With my Canon mkIII I found my main 2 Sigma lenses needed some micro-adjustment so that might help. If you still don't get good results check another long fast lens on the body to see what differences you get. The last thing is to see if you are stretching how far the lens has 'good' focus, so not more than say 20-25m and preferably less.

Anyway, let us know how things go. I like the first photo best, good bit of action with playing off the man and also staying on the ball.

As for cold shooting, I thought it was bad enough down here on the south coast rather than up there yesterday so must have been very chilly.
Hi Mark

had the camera about 3 weeks and you are right about the sigma, i like the lens and was just experimenting a bit i have had good results at 2.8 so thought i would try something different,as for lens adjustment i wouldnt know where to start! as for the camera at times it makes me look as if i know what i was doing (lol) i like it!!! and yes i was sitting next to steven he must be made of tough stuff as i see he didnt complain about the cold. I see you will be in Scotland for a wedding soon remember your passport:-)iam sure you will enjoy your time in Dumfries

Cheers Colin
colinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 5:41 PM   #14
Super Moderator

That's cool, part of me thought about switching systems to Nikon (a D3 and a D300) before getting the 1D, but I've invested too much in lenses, flash units, etc etc.

Yes, hopefully it will be a good time up there so if you can arrange some good weather for me that would be fantastic!!!
Old Feb 10, 2008, 5:58 PM   #15

Your new camera gets good reviews, are you impressed?with all the equipment you have why did you think of switching did you think canon didnt meet the requirments for your rapidly expanding photography business!!!weddings etc or just fancy a change,Sorry icant promise good weather for your visit but i hope its good theres nothing like a wedding in the rain all the photos at mine were indoors!

Colin

colinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 6:03 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Thinking of the change mainly for the high ISO ability of the D3 and getting that speed on a full frame. I think Canon has been at the top too long and has been complacent and will take at least 18 months to get back on the top. That's just my opinion but with all the reported problems on the mkIII and letting Nikon get in with a camera that's not far behind in performance with the D300 for half the price is not good for them currently. However for us as customers it is good as we have more of a choice and it will encourage the manufactures to stretch the boundaries in the next models and the initial impressions of the mkIII are great and I'm very happy shooting with my 5D (and having a 30D as a backup just in case gives that piece of mind if one does decide to have a problem.