Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 17, 2008, 9:45 PM   #1

First time to try with the 300mm lens, Looking for some comment :?

base on its only got F4, need push a bit iso to around 320-500 for a faster shutter ,hope you enjey !

More
highschloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2008, 4:24 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Not a bad first try with the 300mm and good that you have a low shooting position as this is one of the big differentiators in shooting sports.

I would suggest straightening your shots as there are a few which are quite out by up to 3 degrees so to make you life easier work on your shooting technique so they come out of the camera needing only a small amount. This gives you something else to concentrate on when shooting but will reduce your editing time quite a bit.

Another thing is to play with curves or brightness/contrast to give these a bit more pop as they seem a bit flat.

You have done a good job with 1, 3, 9 as there are great expressions and good action so playing with abit of tweaking of technique you will get more consistent results.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 1:55 PM   #3

Nice shots Highschloser,

I'm curious as to why you let the shutter speed drop to 1/640 and aperture f7.1 in #9 & 10?. Which IMOspoiled#9with motion blurwhich would otherwise have been a cracking shot!!. Kind regards Graham.
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 2:07 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Graham makes a good point which I hadn't picked up and so I checked out the exif and noticed you are shooting shutter priority. For sports shooting this is very strange as usually you want to maintain a narrow depth of field (dof) so I would suggest shooting in aperture priority or preferably manual if lighting in pretty continuous.

You have found one of the problems with shutter priority (S on the D300) where the aperture is closed down as it get brighter which increases the dof which is not desirable in most sports shots. If it were to get darker then you can find under exposure as you are at f4 on your lens and thing can't get any wider. If you were in aperture priority (A on the D300) then the shutter speed will change as it gets brighter but you control the dof. If you notice things getting dark keep an eye on the shutter being recorded to ensure no motion blur and if it is getting low the increase the ISO.

The best is manual as then you control everything and your camera won't get confused by light or dark kits which will cause under and over exposure respectively when shooting in S or A modes.

Hope that helps. Oh and when shooting in M you are trying to expose for the faces to it doesn't matter if you get a little bit of blown highlights on a white kit etc.

Mark
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:04 PM   #5

You have got quite a bit of action with your new lens.

This one (hidden in the rest of your album with an uncluttered bokeh )does gives a bit more pop than the others. With less action though.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 7:29 AM   #6

Good shots all.

Some do need to be straightened. The tips and hints will give your images even better results.

Take Care,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:03 AM   #7

Thank for all dude comment ! Give a lots idea !

I tried to do better on my timing , flaming this years after i start shoting pic

but my concept for settingstill very naive:G

PS: For indoor, what you guys think a f4 lens with a higher iso and does monopod helps a lot on a 300mm lens? Please kindly advise since i got lots indoor shoting and sorry for my worst english .

highschloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:26 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Don't worry about your English we understand fine. As for f4 indoors you are going to struggle even with ISO6400 as you will have limited light for focusing and not a lot of light. Usually you will want f2.8 or preferably brighter for indoor work.