Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 21, 2008, 6:03 AM   #1

Tuesdy night the timing worked out nicely so that I was able to shoot nearly the entire girls' match myself before turning the camera over to my student photographer for the boys' action. The first two were shot before it was completely dark, and the lights had just come on.

\

To no one's surprise, shooting with the K10 and the DA*50-135 f2.8 takes some adjusting, and the short focal length greatly limits shot possibilities. The biggest drawback, however is that, even with f2.8, I've been able to push only 1/250 shutter speed once night has fallen completely, even by compensating -0.3 EV in Aperture mode. ISO is 1600. I still get FAR better detail than I did a year ago with the Fuji s6000. I have tried to resist the temptation to crop heavily, but when I've done it, the results have been better than I expected. This action took place just past the middle of the field and originally took up about 1/3 of the frame.

All shots have been run through Noiseware as a step in PP. As you can imagine, I eagerly away Tamron's getting its new 70-200 f2.8's to the U.S., although I'm suspecting I won't get it in time to help with soccer season.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2008, 2:25 PM   #2

Shot 2 is the sharpest of the three. That's the sharpness and detail you want. Shot 1 is nice action but too soft.

Shot 3 is nice action but too soft / too much loss of detail. I think a good portion of the problem is motion blur as #44 is the sharpest of the players in the frame.

The only problem with shot 2 is it is cluttered. The best view of a face is the girl least involved in the play and the defender in the foreground blocks a good view of the player with the ball. Without her this would be an excellent shot. With her, it doesn't work as well. That's a very frustrating thing with soccer for me. A good portion of my toss-outs are sharp images but ruined by a distracting player obscuring what is going on. If shot 1 had the sharpness shot 2 had it would be a real keeper.

As you said, your gear is a huge step up from what you were shooting with last year. Now you have to get past the improved ISO performance and start bringing the same critical eye to your soccer that you started to bring to your basketball.

Keep at it though. No one said this hobby was easy :-)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 6:53 AM   #3

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Shot 2 is the sharpest of the three. That's the sharpness and detail you want. Shot 1 is nice action but too soft.

Shot 3 is nice action but too soft / too much loss of detail. I think a good portion of the problem is motion blur as #44 is the sharpest of the players in the frame.

The only problem with shot 2 is it is cluttered. The best view of a face is the girl least involved in the play and the defender in the foreground blocks a good view of the player with the ball. Without her this would be an excellent shot. With her, it doesn't work as well. That's a very frustrating thing with soccer for me. A good portion of my toss-outs are sharp images but ruined by a distracting player obscuring what is going on. If shot 1 had the sharpness shot 2 had it would be a real keeper.

As you said, your gear is a huge step up from what you were shooting with last year. Now you have to get past the improved ISO performance and start bringing the same critical eye to your soccer that you started to bring to your basketball.

Keep at it though. No one said this hobby was easy :-)
Thanks for the comments. I agree #2 is cluttered, but it is somewhat deliberately so. I thought seriously about cropping out the tall girl at the rear side of the play but left her in to emphasize the size contrast between the girl with the ball and the players between which she was cutting.

Motion blur is definitely the problem on the ball in #3, but I'm not sure if the rest is not simply a slight back focus, combined with the loss of detail in a crop.

We have another road game tonight, and I'm hoping I'll have some time to shoot before I have to turn my attention to the boys' game.

Paul

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote