Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 23, 2008, 2:31 AM   #1

Hello to all.

I am new to this area of the forums. I just discovered this area about a month ago and have really enjoyed looking at your photos, especially the comments as we can all learn from each other. I will attempt to post some photos and hope I am doing so correctly. Your C & C are welcome. Please let me know if I am posting them at the proper size etc, my camera is a Canon 20D, and lens for these photos is the Canon 70-200L f2.8. I'm not sure if the EXIF data posts with the pictures so if you need more data please feel free to ask.

My questions in particular are the baseball photos, and getting the proper exposure for the faces (of course the uniforms are white just to make things more difficult)

4. ISO 1600 on this shot as it was getting pretty dark and the lights are aimed at the football field, not on the track.

Thank you for your time.

George
geeman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2008, 6:22 AM   #2

Hello George, I can't see much wrong with your exposure in #'s 2,3 & 4(#4 IMO looks a little soft),.#1 has shadow from his helmet but you could lift it inpp!. On sizeI would say there a little large! (I am viewing on a 19" wide screen TFT) so maybe my monitor!. Kind regards Graham.
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 7:32 AM   #3

Yep definitely a bit too large - shouldn't have to scroll on a 19" monitor to view one photo. They look good - but it's easier to judge when you don't have to scroll :G

Shadows on faces are OK - it's natural looking if that's the way the sun is as long as it isn't severe (i.e. you still want to be able to make out the features).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 3:24 PM   #4

Hello George,

While the photos are a bit large, yes- what I do have to say is that I think your timing on these is impeccible!! Well done. Did you use burst mode or time it perfectly with single shot?

Great expressions on the athlete's faces too... that makes the photos.

Good natural colours, though maybe these could be sharpened and a slight increase in contrast/ saturation would add a bit.

Regards & thanks for sharing,

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 4:10 PM   #5

I'll try in the next post to get them a bit smaller...thanks.

No such luck on the single shot, they were in burst of course.

It seemed to me that the whites were washed out in the baseball photos. I was using 1/3 EC plus but it may be I was just used to to setting it to zero and then the face and skin were underexposed (learned that from you guys, THANK YOU!!)

I'll try and post some basketball photos from my dungeon gym and see if you can give me some pointers. I'll make them smaller too...again sorry about that.

Thank you all for your time and C & C, I do respect your opinions. Wish I had found this portion of Steve's 3 years ago! I have been reading the Canon Equipment sections for that long.

George

Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:59 PM   #6

Ok guys, help me out here and let me know what's going on in this image.

Canon 20D, Canon 85mm f1.8, 1/800 sec and ISO 1600. The image looks soft to me, except her left foot is tack sharp. Is this motion blur at 1/800 ? C & C welcome of course.

Hope this size image is better or does it need to be a little larger for you guys to take a closer look?

George

Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:51 AM   #7

Mu gut feeling is that you nailed the problem when you noted the back foot is in focus. It appears the image is slightly back-focused. With an f1.8 lens you have to have your focus point pretty well directly on the face or upper chest because of the very narrow DOF. (Or maybe it's because I have this problem so often that I immediately think of it, lol.) 1/800 should be plenty of shutter speed to keep motion blur from being a major factor.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:16 PM   #8

Well I doubt I actually tried to focus on her foot so I just flat missed focus on her I guess..probably got the floor or something beside her about even with her back foot. Basketball seems to be one of the toughest sports for me. Thanks for the comments Paul.