Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 7, 2008, 9:27 AM   #11
Super Moderator

That is what they would get with an underexposed shot. What he is demonstrating there is how he has set the exposure for the flash to fill the rest in.

If you check out the work of JohnG (sorry John pinching your stuff again as I've not shot any BBall http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=82you can see that strobes are not essential but rather then right lens and camera settings.

If you are not used to shooting sports I would not personally add the difficulty of shooting with strobes into the mix until you have mastered the rest.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 9:40 AM   #12

Bob,

I have to say I found the article very interesting. I've been debating lately whether or not to try strobing. I've seen some really bad examples from people using speedlights. Good examples with expensive strobes but I want a more portable solution. And, of course, basketball season is over now around me.

But anyway, that was a pretty good read. And it definitely sounds like a worthwhile try if you've got the time.

IMO there are three major benefits to strobing:
  1. Colors pop[/*]
  2. Allows you to use narrower apertures (think 3.2) to really get sharper results.[/*]
  3. Allows you to shoot at lower ISO
[/*]
Unfortunately many of the results I see are poor: shadows, flash burn being the two most common problems I see from people using off camera flashes to strobe. The dual flashes would help the shadows. And I'm guessing the approach to feather the lights helps with the flash burn.

Unfortunately for me basketball isn't a big moneymaker so I'm leary of investing the time and money to work out the kinks. Fortunately I have 9 months to mull it over.

But it would be much better if you were to give it a try and report back :G

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:39 AM   #13

BobTheNailer wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
LOL....looks like we're all in agreement about the "Earl" books, although I have to admit I loved "Hot Springs," and some of the Birds-Eye locations simply for the fun of trying to match actual places I see every day with the locations he describes in the books as well as matching the actual turbulent history of the city to his narrative, which tends to be almost a parody.

hey,
I got half way through that one, then had to start a lot of work reading and got distracted, then lost it for a while so I never finished it.
But send a link of some shots of Hotsprings Ark would love to see them.
Bob
What I'll do ina few days is review the specific locations shown in the book and make a run through downtown and shoot the actual points mentioned (today, it's snowing heavily....not a good day for shooting). The link below includes a few shots of the downtown area including the Army/Navy hospital mentioned in the book as well as a couple of the downtown bathhouses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trojans...7600384262112/

The first nine shots or so are from Hot Springs.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 1:07 PM   #14

Paul, thanks for those shots of hot springs... now I get it a littel more. I am going to restart that one after I amfinished with this B.L. swagger story.

Mark-- I wish I had that kind of prim lens that John has ( Nice! ), but I don't so that is why I will try the OCF thing. Soon as I get it all together.:-)

Bob
BobTheNailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 1:12 PM   #15
Super Moderator

It's not an expensive one and depending what you have for getting the strobes sorted could be cheaper. The reason I'm thinking of getting that lens is if you are shooting where you can't use the strobes you are still OK.

Just a thought.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:17 PM   #16

--
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:17 PM   #17

mark,
I guess its all relative... 2 strobes and triggers ran under $200.
you should read through that strobist site I linked to further up. He helps poor people like me strobe on a budget.
I saw your shots of the gymnastics..very nice stuff. if you were to try to strobe that gym though you would have to gell the strobes ( orange I think ) to balance the light out.

bob
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:59 AM   #18

BobTheNailer wrote:
Quote:
mark,
I guess its all relative... 2 strobes and triggers ran under $200.
you should read through that strobist site I linked to further up. He helps poor people like me strobe on a budget.
I saw your shots of the gymnastics..very nice stuff. if you were to try to strobe that gym though you would have to gell the strobes ( orange I think ) to balance the light out.

bob
An important point to keep in mind - some venues and some sports do not allow strobes. Gymnastics does not allow it. Volleyball it depends - here in Ohio, it isn't allowed but it might be in other places, while basketball generally allows it.

Also - keep in mind the limitations of an < $200 strobe setup. How powerful are the flashes? Without external battery packs, how long will it take them to recharge? How many shots will you get w/o battery pack (i.e will you have to replace the batterys in your flashes after 100 shots)? How easy is it to burn them out?m What are the limitations of the wireless transmitters you'll be using?

And remember, that article was in a college gym so the flashes were behaving as fill, not as the primary light source, so the demand on the flash performance and the ease of better results was simpler. If they're the primary light source (hs gym w/o fast enough lens) it's a lot more difficult. If you're exposing correctly at 1/2 court you'll blow out highlights at the basket.

Just some things to keep in mind.

All things you'll want to consider and research.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 8:33 AM   #19

good points. Thanks.

I have a Nikon sb-24 Its a film era flash, and the vivitar285. From what I am understanding the trick is to set them to 1/2 or 1/4 power and they will reset much faster and use much less energy. They also were designed for AA alkaline batteries and the NiHi offer so much more energy.

The radio slaves I am using are NOT Pocket Wizards so yes there range will be much more limited ( my guess aabout 50-60'). Again -- could not spring for the extra $200 for the pocket wizards, maybe some day .

and was just able to nail down an old 135mm f2.8 for $10 ( manual focus ) just this weekend. so far so good on it in test.

I am dying to try this all out in a real gym, but I still have one proble. The slaves have a mini stero plug, this works with the chepo ebay unbrella flashes I have great, but the Strobes have something called a PC sync socket. Radio shack was no help. This may require a trip to B&H. I am tempted to pull out the soldering Iron and try something myself but I don't want to screw things up.

Thanks

When I try it I will surly post

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"bob