Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:35 AM   #11

:-)Mark I think your shots are very impressive from the perspective of technique. I shoot indoor sports, though not nearly as well as you do, and I find your sharpness amazing. If I could make a criticism though, I used to be a gym coach and I think that you might want to capture more "in flight" moments such as the back handspring. There are some static shots here that perhaps don't convey the ballistic, airborne nature of the sport. But overall, the color sharpness and framing are inspiring. Thanks for sharing. John C.
jcdotcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 5:48 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Thanks guys.

Jim, I'm all spent out on kit for the moment so I think that will have to wait... however we will see if I can get more gym gigs next season (after checking this is as successful as I hoped), and if I'm going to be doing more then there might be a 'need' to get something longer..... I think another mkIII with a 200mm f2 should do the trick (of a f1.8 if I see one kicking around).

John, with the lighting I hada lotof the airborne ones have motion blur to some extent especially on tumbles. Also getting a good enough focus to sell when moving this fast in the low light was not helping. Another thing that I've noticed is that if they don't have spot on posture/body position then the whole shot looks weak and as I was shooting to sell to parents then the nicely posed ones are key. There are a good number of shots that are in the air, but I have to take many hours not to go through them all and see which will make the cut to be offered for sale.

I have learnt a lot and as ever know I can do better next time out.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 6:02 AM   #13

Mark - nice work.

#2 is a very nice shot.

Yeah, cycling lights stink. 5 & 8 need additional color correction as there's a heavy yellow cast.

Nicely done.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 6:05 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Thanks John. I will make them magically improve later when I have my monitor calibrator plugged in LOL.

What are you doing awake so early???
Old Mar 10, 2008, 6:10 AM   #15

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
What are you doing awake so early???
We had our clock change this weekend. It's 7am here. My worday starts by 7:00 am.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 6:12 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Ouch that is early!! I knew that your clocks changed as I work for an American co so they are good at reminding us.... I hate it when they change this way, not keen on getting out of bed at the best of times!!
Old Mar 10, 2008, 6:25 AM   #17
TG

Nice series of shots Mark especialiy consideringthe tough lighting conditions (as mentioned above). ISO 3200 looks very impressive on the MKIII.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 6:30 AM   #18

Really impressive work, Mark! Hope your sales go well.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 7:27 AM   #19

Mark,

I gonna go with #2 as well. I figured it would be eye opening for you as you haven't shot gymnastics before because the pace has got to be mind boggling if it's only you and two events are going on at the same time.

I have to ask regarding lenses though, why the 120-300 instead of the 70-200...did you need more reach being at the corner of the mat??? I would be real interested to see some of these same photos once you do the color correction so I can see a before and after comparison.

Also, we had a meet similar to the lighting conditions you were dealing with here...and the yellow walls to boot! Good luck on the sales, I hope they go well!

Chris

PhotoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:11 AM   #20
Super Moderator

I used the 120-300 Sigma rather than the 70-200 Canon as I wanted to get a reduced dof as much as possible so needed to frame tight and also this was helped by the 35mm size of the 5D sensor. Another thing was to get the reach so I could shoot usable shots the full length of the mat away.
Attached Images