Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:01 AM   #1

Hi
I,ve recently bought an OLY E500 with the 40-150mm lens and I'm having problems with outside sport photos under spot light, I cant get rid of the blurr.
Can anyone out there give me some tips
DLLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2008, 6:39 PM   #2
Super Moderator

You are trying to shoot in one of the 2 hardest sports situations so it's tough to get good results.

Ideally you want ISO 3200 or higher and a lens of f2.8, unfortunately you have only ISO 1600 and your lens is f3.5 when wide up to f4.5 when long. This means you are working with less than 1/4 of the light sensitivity that would be able to get you usable results.

All you can try is setting the ISO to 1600 and keeping the aperture open as wide as possible then in manual mode set the shutter speed so that the skin tones are correctly exposed. I'm guessing you will only be looking at 1/80-1/125s so probably your best shots are going to be of players when not in motion, or with a panning motion of the lens you might get some 'interesting' shots.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 6:58 PM   #3

hi dllh,

you are getting ready to go through what i went through. (i love olympus, and even bought the 50-200mm 2.8-3.5 lens. i still don't understand why oly didn't make it a constant 2.8.) you are just not going to get very useable photos in low light situations. anyway, the e500 is a great camera, but even at 1600 iso you will get a great deal of noise, you are going to have to getnoise reduction program like noise ninja. and with the 40-150 lens you won't get very sharp sports shots, unless you are in the bright sunlight. believe me, i used to shoot my kid's nightime soccer practice, and i shot 1000's of shots, and none were really useable(my e500 has almost 64,000 shutter actuations). the camera and lens can not do what you are trying to achieve. and i'm not bashing the kit. i have one. and if you can listen to mark, he is the person who really helped me understand and learn about sports photography! and all of the folks in the sports forum are extremely knowlegeable, this is really the place where i have learned and still learning everyday!

best regards, john
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:36 PM   #4

Thanks lads for replying, I think I'll give night football photography a miss and stick to day time. I think I'll give you guys a shout before going out spending next time.

cheers dave.
DLLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 6:58 PM   #5
Super Moderator

As I said it's a tough situation to get good results, even shooting with a $4500 camera and a $3000 lens it's not easy and is something I try to avoid as far as possible.

Get used to shooting in the day and then see where your photography takes you. John is a great example of someone who has learnt an amazing amount over the past year when it comes to shooting sports so post away, ask questions, and have fun in your photography.

Happy shooting,

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote