Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 22, 2008, 4:30 PM   #11

Hi Mark, glad you posted these as i've been commissioned to shoot some rugby union pics for my local county side!!. I'm not a union man myself (growing up in Yorkshire you tend to play the "Real" rugby, ie League :blah. How did you find it??? PM me if it's too long winded for open forum. Kind regards Graham

ps don't let any real rugby players( Union)read this or i'm dead:lol:
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 5:14 PM   #12
Super Moderator

How did I find it.... hmmm good question, and I feel it worth sharing here so others can learn and give more advice. I shot 2 matches last year and this one today so I'm not an expert for sure.

One thing I found was that I was missing out on range more so than in football and hockey, probably as the play doesn't move around as fast so I had long periods of not being able to shoot. That is why I went for the 1.4x TC in the 2nd half and this helped. I raise this asyou mightfind a very similar problem with the D2H and 70-200 with 1.4x TC. Then again if it is a higher level of playthey could be moving it around more which will help.

So what did I learn today that I can pass on. Firstly frame tight, you don't need to worry about full length shots as the play in not at ground level but from the waist up (another reason that longer lenses are helpful). Not saying don't take any full length shots but you are missing out on the facial expressions. A major advantage of tight framing is throwing the background out more which is one thing that makes the 3rd shot of mine look nice. Speaking of which, how to know which of the players is going to receive the ball in a line out....... well for me it helped as the friend who I was with played for the home team so knew their calls. When the other team were taking a line out then I would just pick the player that felt right, pre-focused and then got ready and shot away. Didn't get it right every time, but did allow me to frame well rather than rushing in trying to get on the right player. Better to get some good quality hits, rather than lots of shots framed badly. As ever if you can shoot from a low angle it will look better, today I didn't, I shot standing and there were slight hills on the 2 sides I shot from making it worse (this was only a shoot for me to have fun and to learn some technique as I hope to have a tag rugby tournament to cover in May). However, I really wish I had as I know I've not done as well as I could which annoys me...... live, learn and don't be lazy next time as all I can say!! This was taken by my friend who was with me today... yep, it was cold and no I'm not quite that fat, I had a long sleeve t-shirt, hooded jumper, body warmer and the jacket LOL.

The only other thing I would do is look at Getty Images and other sites with rugby shots to see what works well. I always have a look before shooting something I'm not used to (well apart from today as it was pretty much last minute) as we all need inspiration.
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 5:29 PM   #13

Thanks for the info Mark, Your 6ft 6"!! how long is that monopod :0 LOL, I have covered a few rugby league games and the movement is pretty predictable as they carry the ball forward, i'm not sure as where to position myself for Union??, behind the try line will limit any line out shots + with the greatest respect it is not a game renound for tries rather penalty's and drop goals so maybe a traversing down the touchline would be a better option? Any thoughts?. Graham
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 5:33 PM   #14
Super Moderator

As you can see I'm slouching quite a bit to use the monopod, but it is a long one, the longest I could get my hands on.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I did take most shots from the sideline so probably the best option for you. I took some from behind the try line but a lot of the time I was missing shooting opportunities.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 10:01 PM   #15

hi mark,

great set of shots, as usual! my favorite is #5 great timing!
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 7:03 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Thanks John, 5 is good action, but really soft and it won't be up for sale as it is not of good enough quality. I only included it here as I like the big jump after the kick.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 4:44 AM   #17

Great shots Mark. 3, 5 and 6 are my favourites. It's a real shame that 5 is soft because that's a cracker. I'll take your advice about shooting only the top half of people to get their faces in - it hadn't occurred to me and it seems very effective.
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:43 AM   #18
Super Moderator

Thanks Frenchy.... yep number5 was annoying, but it looks like my own silly fault as I got my subject off centre!!

Here are a few more, and the last one has worked out well shooting from a higher angle than normal as who could ask for a cleaner background?!!