Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 29, 2008, 7:38 PM   #1

i got another photo job, beside the school portrait work that i do now. i am working for an up and coming newspaper here in new orleans, they have used a few of my shots from the soccer game a few weeks ago. i did post a photo here, that i cropped and did some usm. well they used the full photo to print, but i want to make sure they use the best shots i can give them.

so my question is should i just go through my shots, and pick the best ones to me, then crop and sharpen, then send those? or should i send the photos they way i take them and let them use their judgement? they are very pleased with my work so far. any input would be greatly appreciated.

at my school portrait job, all the photogs are always critiqued! which is great because i am always trying to do my best and get better. even though in some instances we shoot about 250-300 students eachper day, as some shools have 700-800 kids. some kids just don't co-operate. and there is really nothing you can do about that!
airbrushjohn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2008, 7:55 PM   #2

yes that was methat posted this question, i made that name because when they changed the site, i couldn't log in. but thats my question.
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 8:14 PM   #3

John,

I typically do all my normal corrections to photos because I want them to look their best. Sometimes my editor will crop tighter because they're trying to fit a certainsize but that's OK by me. It really depends on how skilled a photo editor the paper has. Mine is a small paper so it's just a copy editor - not a trained photo editor. So if I don't edit mine they wont get edited.

I try to give them a couple of each player so they have some for stock. But again that's a small paper. For a more mainstream paper - a dozen of the best shots is a good amount. But, really, dont take my advice - ask your editor what they would prefer. They're your customer so you should give them what they want not what I or anyone else or even you thinks.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 10:31 PM   #4

thanks johng! i will talk with them more in detail, i just started so, i am meeting with them monday april 3rd to work everything out! i just wanted some input so when i go in, i can feel them out and see whtas best for everyone.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 6:38 AM   #5

I take shots for two local (and competing) papers and I do all the post processing. Cropping, converting to gray scale, resizing etc. The only thing they do is sometimes some more cropping and every so often they want a color shot. the only thing I have to keep in mind is that each paper uses a different printer and each printer has a slightly different process to I have to post process a shot one way for one paper and a little different for the other one. I would think that by doing your own post prescessing it will provide the paper with a better shot.

Phil

k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:17 PM   #6

thanks k1par!
Old Mar 31, 2008, 3:11 PM   #7

Same here. Do all of your own post work and give them the best possible product. Most of the times papers dont have the staff and time or willing to pay extra to have photos touched up. Congrats on the new gig!Im amazed at some of the shots they choose. I still havent figured it out.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 6:39 PM   #8

well thanks for the replies, i resigned from the job, they wanted all the photos for free, i refuse to work for free! they just wanted to give me access to the events in return for all my photos. i'm sure it would have been a lot of fun, but i have a family to feed. thats why i work part time as a school photog, and i still do alot of art work. anyway, again thank you! john