Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:28 PM   #1

it was our minor league team's home opener, i know this isn't the correct sports shot but you don't know how hard and how many shots i took to get the ball on the bat! man timing on that is almost impossible, they really throw the ball very fast!
Attached Images

airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2008, 2:43 PM   #2

John - I hear you. It's tough to time it. It's a great exercise to work on your timing. But, after that it loses it's appeal for the most part. How the batter looks really makes more of a difference IMO. That makes more of a difference on how good the overal shot appears than bat on ball.

And it seems I sell a lot more fielding shots than I do batting shots. So I make sure to get one portrait style shot at the plate and one swing with ball in frame but spend more time trying to get action in the field. Of course it helps to know their positions. Your corner outfields might not give you many fielding shot opportunities so I'll take more shots of them at the plate and running bases.

For newsprint I would say again say timing bat on ball isn't very important. Good expressions and good action are all that's necessary.

So, while a good exercise I wouldn't chase that shot too much - it's just not worth it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 6:07 PM   #3

hi johng,
i agree i wish i could have had a better vantage point, but the game was on live tv, so those cameras got the spots where the photographers stand. there was another photog there with my dream kit. 2 1d mkIIIs, a 28-70mm 2.8, a 70-200mm 2.8 , and the 400mm 2.8. man that thing is huge!! maybe one day!
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote