Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Apr 7, 2008, 7:22 AM   #11
Administrator

The K20D does have 40% more pixels to work with. So, even if it does have higher measured noise compared to the 10MP models (which is the case from controlled conditions tests I've seen so far), you may still may have more detail left after downsizing to typical viewing sizes, because the image dimensions are so large.

It could be the way the tests are being performed, too. Most of the tests I've seen so far have been in relatively low light using shutter speeds of around 1/100 second for testing.

Sometimes, shutter speed can make a big difference in a camera's noise profile, and it looks like light was pretty good for these photos as higher ISO speed shots go (I noticed the comments about the first photo being taken at 1/250 and f/8 at ISO 2500). You'd have to do some comparisons in identical subjects, lighting and camera settings (ISO speed, aperture, shutter speed, white balance) to see how they'd compare in a given shooting condition.

We should start seeing more user comparisons in controlled conditions as time passes, as a lot of K10D owners appear to be upgrading now. Ditto for tests from some of the review sites that measure noise with samples of scenes comparing multiple cameras.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 8:04 AM   #12

Jim, I don't think we're disagreeing at all. What I guess the point I want to make is that, in the field, I'm seeing far better performance given the same stadium conditions. I don't really care where it comes from from...higher sensivitivity, greater pixel count, etc....I'm just happy to get it.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 8:15 AM   #13
Administrator

Great. Another thing that is interesting about the Pentax approach to noise is that the grain size appears to be relatively small (whereas you see more evidence of smoothing from noise reduction with some of the other manufacturers, resulting in a larger grain size). I don't find the noise pattern to be as objectionable with this type of noise.

Given that you have a much larger image to work with, this tighter grain is going to be smaller, and also averaged in with adjacent pixels when resizing for viewing or print, which may explain the better visual results you're seeing, despite the noise tests results measuring 100% crops.

Pentax may have found that the tradeoff of using higher resolution with smaller photosites resulted in lower visual noise at a most viewing sizes (since we're not going to display images using 100% crops even if measured noise is higher in them).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote