Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Apr 11, 2008, 9:36 PM   #1

Our track team ran in its only local meet of the year today, and I took advantage of the opportunity to get down on the field and try shooting it since it wasn't in our stadium. Results were mixed. I was beginning to get my timing down on the high jump, but unfortunately our jumpers failed to clear even the starting height

I like the face-on shot on the long jump, but I had some problem with DOF

Our best miler got trapped in the pack

The hurdles and sprints proved very tough to shoot because I had to shoot directly into a killer sun to get faces. This young lady was off on her timing going into a hurdle, but I liked the concentration on her face.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2008, 6:11 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Paul,

I've not yet had a chance to shoot a track meet but looks like a busy day. It looks like the lighting was quite harsh so always going to make a photogs life difficult.

There are a couple of things I would check out. On the first one it looks as if the focus is on the background rather than the jumper. I'm not sure if AF is going to track well enough to get a jumper easily so it might be worth pre focusing on the bar and then shoot away as you know you are going to have a good focal plane to hit so you will get more keepers. There is a downside to not using AF in that there is only one point that is in focus and you can't track, but as I've said if AF is losing lock you might end up with none in focus.

I agree the long jumper has a good facial expression but don't think it is dof, rather the shutter speed it too slow and the action is not frozen. There isn't any exif so can't see the settings but sure that is the case.

Hope that helps.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote