Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Apr 20, 2008, 6:33 PM   #1

Alright so i finally bit the bullet and bought a new lens. I decided to purchase the Nikon 80-200 f2.8. My main purpose for this lens is to shoot indoor ice hockey, but becuase of the time of year, its over. So this past weekend i resorted to another sport for its first sporting use. Tha sport was soccer. Now i understand that this lens is not the ideal choice for soccer becuase of its focal length, but i think i made out alright.

If some of the great sports photographers who reside on this forum could comment, it would b greatly appreciated

One finaly question. In #3 the skin of the player had a red or orange tint to it, i think due to the cold temp. Is there any way to avoid this?

Thanx,

Blake

StoneAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2008, 9:19 PM   #2

hi blake and welcome to the forum, the site has some very excellent sports shooters, and very knowlegeable, and most importantly very helpful. they have helped me very much.

your shots are very sharp! i don't know if this was practice or a game, the header you shot has nice timing, but unfortunately they have their backs to you, it happens to all of us. my main thing i have been working on is picking my shots, and its very hard for me to have patience, because i like to shoot alot!

#3 again has her back towards you. and #2 is nice. man i am still working to get my shots that sharp. the lens you have is awesome, and you did a great job of not shooting at the infinity of your lens( meaning at 200mm to get a shot way on the other end of the field). they subjects are close and you did a great job!

best regards, john
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 3:35 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Good to see another new face on the sports forum!

As John has already said, faces are key to making an engaging shot, it's very rare that a shot without showing the faces will come close to a shot with the faces.

As a small note you over did the ISO as you were getting shutter speeds of 1/4000s at ISO 640 so you could have come down to say ISO200 and still nicely frozen the action.

Apart from the first one whichlooks a little soft the focus looks good, how did you find the focus speed on your new lens?

Looking forward to seeing more shots.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 12:36 PM   #4

Thanks Mark and John. I agree that faces make the shot. I did manage to get a few with faces, but the subject didnt like them so they stayed off the net. Ill try to remember to knock down the iso speeds in the future. And as far as the focus speed i found it very quick, compared to my other lenses. I dont see this lens spending much time in it case, unless the camera is attatched to it.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:00 PM   #5

Hi stoneage, welcome to the forum, looks like it was more of a practise than a match?, try getting lower for your shots which will givea little less distracting backgrounds (I have this battle every week)lol.

i agree with Mark given that you have great light there go for as lower ISO you can while preserving a 1000th ish shutter speed!

p.s at the moment this is the lens i use with a 1.4 converter!, so, as i'm learning, if you keep to action within it's reachthis is a great lens!!. Keep the pics comming:-). Kind regards Graham
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 2:22 PM   #6

Id like to welcome you also. Nicely done overall. Heed the advice given thus far and youll be turning out some incredible shots in no time. One other thing to add, just in general, shoot tight to eliminate distractions around the action. As far as Shutter speeds Id stay around 2000-2500 to stop the action. At this level, Im assuming High School age,I dont think 1/1000 would do it. Heres how I go thru my exposure settings..perhaps one of the pros can comment...I shoot in Aperature mode. I dial my aperature-usually 2.8. Then I adjust my ISO to get myshutter speed to what Id like it to be. I chimp the histogram and finally check hilites, and if theyre blown, I adjust my EV.In dealing with the red skin tones, you can lower the red curves slightly but if everything else is metered correctly and the redneness is due to the cold, I'd leave it. Youre trying to convey what was going on at the time. These girls were playing soccerin the cold and had red faces. LOL
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 4:59 PM   #7

Thanks for everyones comments. I will be sure to use them on my next outing, which will hopefully be this weekend. And believe it or not, this was actually a game. Although the other team made it more like a practice. One quick question regarding sports shooting in general, ive noticed a lot of people on anoter board i visit use auto ISO. Would you suggest this? Or should i stick to my ways now, and shoot manual.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 5:04 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Glad we could help and I never shoot auto ISO as you are letting the camera decide what is right which you don't want to do. Manual is best and then Av is second as the camera then controls shutter, if you go Av with Auto ISO then the camera is choosing two things, you want to take charge of your creativity as much as possible.

Looking forward to your next outing.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote