Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Apr 25, 2008, 2:17 PM   #1

These were taken at the Galveston County Fair and Rodeo. Both of them were shot with the Pentax K20D. and the AFGZ360 flash.

First, you have the rodeo queen. Taken with the DA*200 at f/2.8, 1/180s, ISO 2000 (no noise reduction):

Next, how about a little steer wrasslin'? Shot with the DA*50-135 at 135mm, f/2.8, 1/180s, ISO 2000 (no in-camera NR, but NR applied in PP):

Yee haw!!
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2008, 3:05 PM   #2

I like the last shot very much. I took the liberty of a bit of PP on it and it is a matter of personal taste here. I hope you don't mind. I just wanted to get a better look of his skin tone and take the edge off that flash shot look.
Attached Images

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 8:55 PM   #3

Holy cow! Man, those are nice shots, especially like that second one. Amazing how crystal clear the main subject(s) are. Did you use a mono-pod or tri-pod?
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 9:05 PM   #4

Nice second shot. Tom - I like the edits you performed - helps make the shot even better.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 9:26 PM   #5

Very nice. I can't wait to try my K20 under stadium lights. What was the distance on the second shot? and how much cropping was required? The only problem I ever have with my DA*50-135 is its lack of reach.

Have you tried the in-camera noise reduction at high ISO's? I just got the replacement for my defective K20 yesterday and haven't had a chance to try out the in-camera algorithms?
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 7:41 PM   #6

Thanks for the comments/suggestion! I took this about 25' away from the action. It was a small rodeo so you could get right up to the rail to shoot.

I haven't really tried the in-camera noise reduction. Both of these shots didn't have the NR on (which is the default). I really like how the 50-135 captures action. Really quick and AF is usually right on. The DA*200 seems to be slightly off. I'll probably make it my first candidate for AF adjustment in the K20D. However, I like it as well.

For ISO 2000, I was plenty pleased with these shots.

Oh, I forgot the question about cropping. I cropped it down to 3445x2287 from 4672x3104. Here's the original version:

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote