Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Apr 25, 2008, 9:18 PM   #1

The replacement for my Pentax K20d came in yesterday, and I took advantage ofhome baseball and softball games to make sure this one was right. I was not disappointed, although off and on rain which varied from a light mist to a downpour limited some of what I could do since my only weatherproof lens is the DA*50-135. It was used for each of the softball shots shown. With the f2.8 lens, I kept the ISO at either 1250 or 1600 so I could keep the shutter speed up.

Because I was limited to the short lens, I couldn't get the percentage of subject on screen (2/3) that I was shooting when the action was out at the bases, but this is a time the larger sensor (14.6 MP) was an aid. After cropping, I still had an image of 1995 X 1512 on the play at second.

The early part of the baseball was before the rain and I was able to use my Phoenix 100-400mm

I'm including this shot because it could well be a chance to say, in a couple of years, "Hey, I saw a picture of that guy when he was in high school." This pitcher has a high 90's fastball with control and could go in the top ten in this summer's amateur baseball draft. Then, he'll have to decide whether to take the immediate money or go to the University of Arkansas, where he was signed as a high school All-American QB.

The rain slowed enough for me to get away with switching to the Tamron 70-300, but I had to go up to ISO 3200, then use Noiseware

The verdict on the K20d, now that I have one that works the way it should. Overall, I love it. Focus appeared faster than on the K10, definitely more accurate. The difference was particularly noticable with the higher quality lens, the DA*50-135. High ISO performance was good, but a better test would be under the lights. My general impression is that the amount of noise at 3200 is slightly less than what could be seen at 1600 on the K10 and on up to ISO 2000 or so is comparable to what would have been expected at about 800 on the K10. I would have preferred a higher burst rate....perhaps a little faster than the K10, although both are rated at 3 fps.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2008, 1:24 AM   #2

Paul,

Definitely the first one is my favorite of them all. All came out well using all three lenses. I hear you about the FPS and that is the main reason I did not get the K10D or K20D. Lens availability is still tough to come by for Pentax in the long reach department, especially for sports.

You are doing a great job with that K20D though.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote