Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 1, 2008, 8:16 AM   #11

No filter, I just think the lighting in these high school fields are just to dim for quality photography?

Can picassa appy noise reduction?

Will there be an advantage in shooting raw?

Where should I set my contrast and saturation?

I really like the feel of the tokina, its rugged and will not be damaged when shooting up against the chain link fence.
Angel L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 8:25 AM   #12
Administrator

I would probably start with the defaults for things like Contrast and Saturation. When you increase Contrast, you make darker areas darker, and lighter areas lighter. This adds punch, but limits dynamic range, destroying detail in both shadows and highlights in harsher lighting. Increasing Saturation can cause similar problems (blowing the detail from settings that are too high). Ditto for sharpening, which increases contrast at edge transitions to give the illusion of a sharper image, destroying real detail at those edge transitions.

But, for best results (if you don't mine Post Processing), you'd actually want to dial back Contrast, Sharpness and Saturation to lower settings versus the defaults. Then, increase them later as needed using software.

The main issue you need to work on is getting the exposure right. Yes, your shutter speeds may be a bit slow for a higher percentage of keepers with proper exposure. So, you'll have to do the best you can, catching players when the least movement is taking place, learning to pan with them if needed to get sharper images, etc. That's a matter of practice and timing, since you'll get a better feel for what shots you're likely to get and learn to time them for a higher percentage keepers with better technique.

As for raw, that's up to you, as you may find it limiting for sports use due to performance bottlenecks. You still want to get your exposure right to begin with though.

No, Picasa can't apply any noise reduction (as far as I know). I'd suggest tools like Neat Image, Noise Ninja or Noiseware for that purpose.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 2:40 PM   #13

I would probably start with the defaults for things like Contrast and Saturation. When you increase Contrast, you make darker areas darker, and lighter areas lighter. This adds punch, but limits dynamic range, destroying detail in both shadows and highlights in harsher lighting. Increasing Saturation can cause similar problems (blowing the detail from settings that are too high).

Learn something new everyday!!

DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 2:46 PM   #14

Angel L. wrote:
Quote:
No filter, I just think the lighting in these high school fields are just to dim for quality photography? Not if youre willing to part with alot of cash...seriously, you have to remember that theres a limit as to what your equipment was designed for. As long as you work within those perameters you can capture alot of nice moments.

Will there be an advantage in shooting raw? yes, WB issues can be more easily corrected, IMO. Which software are you using?

Where should I set my contrast and saturation?

I really like the feel of the tokina, its rugged and will not be damaged when shooting up against the chain link fence. Theres alot of that in baseball, LOL
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 8:09 AM   #15

I am useing picassa, but a friend gave me PS elements yesterday. I have not hade a chance to instal yet. I have no clue on PS. I am worried the learning curve will be to long.
Angel L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 6:23 PM   #16

i agree with jim, you really need to set a custom white balance, that makes a world of difference. and i really agree with you on the lighting on these fields is horrible! i don't know how the kids see the ball? as far as noise reduction programs noise ninja works pretty good for me. and like jim said go this field and set your camera to the default settings, and then go from there. that way next time you will know in advance how to set the camera. it really takes alot of time and patience to get really good shots in that light, and also, it may be impossible to get good shots, there are some fields i never go to anymore, its just impossible. good luck! and keep shooting. john
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote