Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 3, 2008, 3:18 PM   #1

All shot in TV mode with the Rebel XTi and Promaster 70-300mm f/3.5-6.3, cloudy wb. Nocorrections made except for crop and sized to 640x480 for posting.

First one - TV Mode, ISO 800, 1/500 shutter, f7.1, iso800

Next one..called third strike! Tv mode, shutter 1/500, f9, iso800

Last one, the game winning RBI single. Tv mode, shutter 1/500, f6.3, iso 800

Comments and advice welcome and appreciated.

Natty
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2008, 8:01 AM   #2

Nicely captured. You have the ball in 2 of the 3, which is VERY important. As you may have noticed, the chain link fences in baseball can be a nightmare. Both for the photographer and the viewer, so its nice to minimize their effects. The best way todo that would be to shoot in aperature priority mode and open up your lens as wide open as it'll go. This way you can blur out the backgrounds-fences and distracting spectators, AND it'll help you bump up the shutter speeds a bit more so you can decrease the blurssss. What are some of your other settings? They seem to be a bit soft.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 9:32 PM   #3

DRG,

Wow, thanks for the encouraging words! Yes, that chain link fence is almost as distracting as the need for the coaches to stand right next to the action! I guess it could be viewed as part of what makes the whole Little League experience a more "homey", "small town", for lack of a better term, experience. But, I agree, blurring the background out would place the emphasis on the shot and main subject.

Thanks again for the comments and advice! I will dig into the manual and some online references and experiment with doingthat.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner.

Natty
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 2:01 PM   #4

You dont need no stinkin manual...youre a guy! LOL. Set it on aperature priority, open up your aperature as far as it will go(small f/#) set your shutter speed at 1/1000 sec and your ISO at 800. Take a shot and check your histogram. You want most of the info at center or slightly to the right, Too far to the right(overexposed-too light) and you decrease your ISO or increase shutter speed. Too far to the left(underexposed-too dark) and you decrerase your shutter speed or increase your ISO. Keep ISO to a minimum to decrease noise and your shutter speed to the max to stop the action. Simple, no? LOL. Good luck.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote