Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 7, 2008, 10:51 PM   #1

Been workin on my skate photos.... thoughts and comments would be great... Thanks

hauntfreaks.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2008, 11:05 PM   #2

Cool shots!

Those are some good sk8rs. Really like the fisheye shot that dudes got some serious air.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 10:49 AM   #3

I love the mood that #1 creates for me. I think it gets lost in the color version. 3 is a great perspective! Love the tower and the sun flares peeking in. great action on the 4th, its just overexposed a bit. Keep em coming!
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 1:44 PM   #4

yeah i'm with you on all those points... I like the BW shots much better... I was also sad to see that one shot over exposed.... heres a couple more

Old May 13, 2008, 1:15 PM   #5

great work!! those are like magazine type shots!
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 1:41 PM   #6

Yea, these seem to work better in B&W. Nice job with the flash in that set. One comment Id make, take it or leave it, would be to make sure objects like the water tank or power lines dont detract from your subject and vy for the viewer's attention. In the 1st water tank shot, the tank contributed to the subject. In the second, it overpowered it. Even though Ive only shot skaters one time, I realize its difficult because most of the parks do have distractions in the background.You just have to be creative in your compositions and where you shoot from. Hey, if it was easy, everyone would turn out great stuff, right? LOL. I just found out today, as a matter of fact, that one of my patients owns a skateboard design company and is heavy into it, so I hit him up to let me know when they get together so i can give it a try. Tips would be appreciated if you dont mind.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 2:14 PM   #7

Thanks again on the comments and kind words.... I guess a couple things I've done is one I shoot in manual f9 and shutter 320 or higher and I use a hand held fill flash... I find the spot where they are pulling off there best stuff and that is where I will manualy focus... 99% of my skate shots are done by holding the camera low (not looking thru the view finder) that way I can keep a sharp eye on the action , it also helps me protect my equipment...

as for objects in the background, man it drives me crazy... but they do what they do where they feel its the best spot for them.... not me...lol
Old May 14, 2008, 11:08 AM   #8

Ok so I went to the park last night and took these... I think these are my best color skate shots I've then to date... what do you think??