Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 10, 2008, 10:53 PM   #1

After my recent Lacrosse outing with the 75-300mm with unspectacular results, I finally broke the bank and went for the 70-200mm f/2.8. Wow! What a blast. The couple opportunities I had to try it out were a middle school soccer and youth baseball game. Here are some of the results - as always C&C welcome...

[edit - based on comments, I removed the originals and uploaded the 'tweaked' versions - which brokethe links here of course.]

The youth baseball (machine pitch - so not pitcher shots even) didn't provide much action, but more practice...

jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2008, 6:58 AM   #2

Your soccer shots make me lust for a 70-200 f2.8. Some really nice action captured. I think they might have more "pop" with a little tweaking of the levels and USM. The third baseball shot is my favorite. Nice timing on the shot.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 7:07 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Congratulations on your new purchase!! It makes a surprising difference doesn't it?! Which of the 70-200mm f2.8's did you go for?

When you re-size do you do any editing like applying unsharp mask, as it seems they are a little soft but not from focus just from resizing.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with the new lens as I'm sure it will make a big difference and encourage you to shotmore.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 9:03 AM   #4

Thanks for the comments guys. I went for the Canon non-IS version of the 70-200mm. I actually did attempt to adjust levels and do some sharpening, but it seemed that the 'sharper' the image, the more noise introduced. I'm not doing any resizing - just providing a link to smaller size using smugmug. I went back to one and did some further adjustments. Better?

You can view a really large size here:

http://srockpix.smugmug.com/photos/2...7_azfMH-X3.jpg

jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 11:18 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Cool and arguably the non-IS is the better of the two lenses unless you really need IS (I use it for shooting weddings).

The thing to remember to get the best shots is not to try and shoot when out of the lenses range. If you are not filling more than 2/3 of the frame with the subject you are shooting then you are likely out of range but as a guide you are looking at within about 25-30m.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 1:56 PM   #6

Congrats on the new glass! Youll love it. I remember how amazed I was when i first got mine...the Nikon version though. Its my go to lens now, using it more than any other.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote