Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 14, 2008, 2:34 PM   #1

Yesterday I went to another youth baseball game and had to shoot through a chain link fence. The good news was that I could position myself about 12 feet from the catcher, the bad news was that the fence marred a good portion of my photos - especially when I tried to move quickly to follow action. Any advice for shooting in this environment? Also, the sun was quickly fading as the game went on (over left field). Here is a sample of the results. Any tips, comments or critiques welcomed!

(PP - crop, straighten, some saturation and lighting adjustments, noiseware, sharpen. Canon Rebel XT, 70-200mm f/2.8, Av Mode, wide open, ISO 1600, shutter speeds ranged from 1/1600 to 1/200 after dark)

thanks,

Jason
jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2008, 8:52 PM   #2

Jason, I really like the action you've caught in #2, #3, and #4 (particularly #4), but I think they could have a little more pop with additional levels and USM.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 8:15 AM   #3

Nicely done Jason, great timing! One comment Ill make on the shots is that you need to bump up the contrast a bit, Itll make that "haze" go away and liven up the colors a touch, even though grays and blues dont offer as much pop as say, yellows and reds. Shootingaction sequences behind a fence is tough, especially if your action is spread out, ie...1st base, then 2nd base, etc...Since its imperative that your lens be flush with the fence I always limit my shooting to where i think the action will take place. For instance, man on 1st. I know he'll be trying to steal 2nd so I line myself up with2nd base, focus on the base and lock my focus (AE_L)there until the action arrives. A second method is that my 70-200 has a focus lock button that i can presetto a focus point so even if i go back to capture the action on 1st, Ican aim the camera at 2nd and hit the button and it will automatically return focus to that spot when he does steal 2nd. Make sense? My recommendation to you? Getfriendly with the coach and shoot from the dug out. Its the only areafrom whichyou can shoot the whole field. Just assure them youll stay out of their way...and do.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote