Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 17, 2008, 10:05 AM   #1

Staring to get a bit of the hang of things. Even things like where I put myself throughout the game to get different shot. The first few games I pretty much limited myself to one or two spots but now I'm like a fly....all over the field. Having TONS of fun doing this and hopefully learning and improving in the process.

These are my two favorites from the past week. Too bad I missed the ball in the first pic but I think I got decent shot anyway. No editing other then crop and resized for posting. All taken with the XTi and Promaster 70-300mm.

Next one isn't really an action shot. It almost qualifies as portrait on the ball field but I love the background.

OK, one more (couldn't resist). Another one where I love the way the background turned out and the facial expression kind of steals the show, which is whay I felt to include it. Funny thing is, this players team was winning by quite a margin so I don't quite understand the rather sullen expression. Maybe it was bordom? LOL

As always, comments and suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Natty

Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2008, 10:39 AM   #2

Shot #1 steals the show! Very unusual. I'm assuming the only reason she'd be jumping is to avoid a pitch in the dirt, but the bat is still poised to swing. Great timing.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 1:29 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Paul. Yes, that first one is pretty cool seeing as how she never dropped the bat down but maintained the ready to swing stance in the jump. I thought that was really cute.
Old May 17, 2008, 2:06 PM   #4

I liked #1 too. My only suggestion on 2 & 3 would be to keep the aperture wide open to enhance the background blur and be sure you are shooting within the focus range of your lens. They both seem a bit soft, but that could be from cropping/resizing too. What kind of post-processing did you do on them?
jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 5:31 PM   #5

jschoenr wrote:
Quote:
I liked #1 too. My only suggestion on 2 & 3 would be to keep the aperture wide open to enhance the background blur and be sure you are shooting within the focus range of your lens. They both seem a bit soft, but that could be from cropping/resizing too. What kind of post-processing did you do on them?
Thanks for the comment. Can you please elaborate, "within the focus range of the lens". Do you mean withing the f-stop? No post-processing other than the crop and re-size on any of the pics.

Natty
Old May 17, 2008, 8:42 PM   #6

Sure. I bought an 85mm f/1.8 for shooting indoor volleyball. It has a focus range of around 20 ft - there is a dial on the top of the lens showing the focal length as your subject moves in and out.Outside of 20ft this lens gets very soft results very quickly - especially wide open (with lower f-stop number).

What lens were you using to shoot these? How far away from the subject were you?

I hope that helps. I'm fairly new to this and got tons of help on this forum, so I'm just trying to pass along things I've learned.
jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 7:59 AM   #7
Super Moderator

I've not shot base ball however I've shot sports for quite a few years so can't go technical with where to position yourself but hopefully can help you get sharper results.

Following up with whatjschoenrsaid about keeping within the range of a lens, this is exactly right. As you get nearer to infinity on a lens you will find results getting much softer and focus less accurate. With a 70-300mm lens you are looking at up to about 35-40m after this you are going to lose quality quickly.Another thing to do is to work within the limits of your lens, I don't know much about the Promaster 70-300mm, however doing a quick search it is an entry lens so with a max aperture of 5.6 at the long end and as 300mm is always the softest area of a zoom like this I would suggest a small closing of the aperture to f6.3. You are doing the right thing of keeping the shutter speed up but don't go too far otherwise the noise will reduce quality too (everything is a balancing act).

The next way to get quality in your shots is to frame tightly, don't leave a lot of space around your subject and then crop tightly later. If at you are not filling 3/4 of the frame in landscape orientation you are far too far away for a quality shot so either zoom more if you have it or if at max zoom don't even waste the shutter actuation and editing time later.

Now after all that I will say I agree the first shot is a very unique one and just a shame that it is not sharp.

Hopefully next time out you will get sharper results.

Happy shooting,

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote