Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 22, 2008, 12:16 AM   #1

Well, I finally got a Sigma 70-200 f2.8....caught what passes as a good deal on ebay.. and got a chance to try it on sports today for the first time. I didn't get a real chance to put it to the low-light test, but it was great overall. From the 800 meters; this was the pass in the stretch that won the race for the young man running for the Trojans.

To qualify for this meet, you had to have won the state championship in your event for your size classification, or be in the top 3-5 times of non-winners. So, we didn't have anyone in the hurdles, but I love to shoot them.

This was shot at f3.5, nice narrow DOF

I got a little hint of what the lens is capable of in limited light as the boys' 4 X 400 relay was the only event run with part of the lights turned on. I deliverately did not do any noise reduction on this one to get a better look at what the lens/K20 combo could produce at ISO 3200.

C & C welcomed.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2008, 3:49 PM   #2

Congrats on the new lens Paul, now you'll want a 1.4 converter :lol:. You can see the difference in sharpness immediately!!, WhatISO did you set for the daytime shots?. Hope to find some T&F near me but struggling at the moment. Kind regards Graham.
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 4:27 PM   #3

Don't tell my wife, but I've already got the TC bookmarked. I started with a low ISO, 200, for the first races of the day (shot #4)....but realized that my shutter speed was too slow...1/80th....so I went up to ISO 800 for the hurdles shots (shots #3 & 4) and up to 1600 for the 800 meters (shot #1).

I love this lens, and you're right about the immediate difference in sharpness. Thanks for looking and commenting.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 11:03 PM   #4

hey paul,

a huge congrats on the lens! you will have fun with that baby!
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote