Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 31, 2008, 7:24 AM   #1

Had a chance to shoot baseball Friday night at the local American Legion field... difficult lighting conditions for each game. In the first game, harsh sun and shadows

This is the first baseball I've shot with the Sigma 70-200 f2.8. I now understand why so many people love this lens.

I tried working some with the 2X teleconverter attached, but it simply gave me too much range, and didn't allow me to back off enough for plays closer to me, like this play at third base

I was a little disappointed in the night-time performance of the lens, but I attribute most of that to the attrocious lighting. The field on which we were playing was a Class C minor league stadium back in the 1930's, Players like Babe Ruth would barnstorm through the area, playing on this field. I think they might have changed one or two of the lights since then.

An attempt to avoid a close pitch....not successful. Photo was timed just a little off, catching the ball about a foot before it plunked into his hip

This was taken under the lights, but before the sky was totally dark, thus it was taken at ISO 1600. To get a fast enough shutter speed, I had to go on up far too high on some of the later shots, with the expected result being much more noise.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2008, 3:24 PM   #2

Hi Paul, glad to see your enjoyingyour new lens, A vast improvement in sharpness (could also be downto the newer camera of course!). Is it a dedicated Sigma 2xconverter you've got?. I think a doubler is too much for a zoom! (what is the crop factor for a Pentax Digi?), the 1.4 converter is supreme in quality with no loss of sharpness!. Kind regards Graham.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 2:09 PM   #3

Hi Graham, thanks for the kind comment. Yes, the 2X teleconverter is the matched APO converter designed for the DG series of lenses by Sigma. It's actually very sharp, even at full extension, as long as you have sufficient light. I've used it for several bird shots. The problem with it for baseball is the 140mm minimum with the 2X.....doesn't allow adjustment for plays that are somewhat close to the shooter. I think it might be very good for soccer since you seldom have really close shots.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 9:22 AM   #4

Paul, nice job under tough conditions. Very good timing. #1 is my favorite...
jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote