Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 31, 2008, 12:26 PM   #1

Having a little fun with Photoshop

k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2008, 2:03 PM   #2

Nice edit, i would be pleased.
Is this your kid or taking shots for resale to parents.
ecap
ecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 2:31 PM   #3

He and his family are good friends so this one is for him. I do sell a lot of sports photos to parents, they look forward to seeing what I have taken on my web site everytime I shoot a game. the biggest question I get is from the kids wanting to know if the pics will be on the web site that night. One big advantage I have is living in a small communitiy, pop 4000 between several towns. I know 90% of the kids and their parents (some of the parents I watched play little league years ago and some of the parents I coached in LL).
Old May 31, 2008, 3:41 PM   #4

Hi K1par, clever shot! I read your last post on this thread and was wondering!. I also live in a fairly close community with limited direct sales potential, (I do however,supply local and district papers as well). Don't you find that there are only so many pics you can supply to parents? maybe the American Psyche is different to the UK. but after so many sports eventsI find that to maintain any continuous sales I have to produce similar off beat shots like the one posted. Kind regards Graham.
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 5:51 PM   #5

First let me clear one point, photography is not my primary source of income. What I do is use the profit from my sales of photos to parents and both local newspapers plus from other parts of my micro-business to pay for new equipment, web site and DSL internet. Depending on the economy I usually can count on about $7500 in total sales for a year for the entire business with a decent profit left over after expenses. For instance last January the micro-business bought a new desktop computer, notebook computer, Canon 30D body and Canon 70-300 IS USM lens. Which is a great benifit of something I love to do. I don't sell many specialty photos like the one above although I am working on a magazine cover type photo that I already have eight pre-orders for so you never know. Another thing I do that may seem strange to many is that I allow people to copy and print photos from my web site but that also has its benefit as the same people that do that will come up to me at a game and hand me money to keep the web site going. I've been given anything from $5 to a $100 bill, I don'k ask for donations they just come.

I guess the best way to put it is even if I wasn't making a cent doing these photos I would still be there taking them but the sales keep me in new gear when I want it.

Oh yes, my primary income is as a 9-1-1 dispatcher and my website is:

http://www.machiasimprint.com