Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:04 PM   #11

jschoenr wrote:
Quote:
Paul, I tried to sharpen both of them a bit more and they both look good when zoomed out, but when I zoom in to 100%, there is a lot of noise created by the sharpening. What you see is sort of a balance between extra sharp and too much noise (IMHO). Any tips on how to get sharper without the noise?

Shooting volleyball is definitely a challenge whether is defensive shots or offensive. Since this was junior beach, there wasn't much in the way of offense, mostly rolls and free balls. I was using the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. I started the day shooting from half-court, but found that to be too tight in many cases. I finished shooting from just off the court on the end-line under the net.
Jason, with this good of lighting and a high-quality lens, I'm a little surprised to see you having noise problems. That's the sort of trade-off I would expect to be balancing in a low-light situation.

I wouldn't pretend to know enough about shooting volleyball to offer positioning advice, particularly for the beach variety. I've shot one season...in the gym...and was never satisfied with my own positioning.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 8:49 AM   #12

Ive only shot volleyball once and got anything remotely as good as these. Youve got great timing and anticipation. Other than a little sharpening, theyre very good. #2 is incredible. Great timing, great look, nice action, intensity- just USm it a bit and youd have a publishable photo. Nicely done!
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote