Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jun 2, 2008, 9:54 AM   #1

My first official paying gig.. After the tournament organizer saw my last pics, he asked me to take pictures of this event in exchange for waived entry fee for my daughter. So far I'm at an hourly rate of about $0.80! Good thing this is for the fun and not the money! Anyway, here's a sample. As always, C&C welcome...

jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2008, 11:29 AM   #2

jschoenr wrote:
Quote:
My first official paying gig.. After the tournament organizer saw my last pics, he asked me to take pictures of this event in exchange for waived entry fee for my daughter. So far I'm at an hourly rate of about $0.80! Good thing this is for the fun and not the money!
Here's my feedback. Please take it for what it's worth. Everyone loves getting something for nothing. But I'm going to ask you to take a step back and consider the impact your approach has on the professional industry of sports shooting. This has become a very large problem with the industry. You have a product which is worth more than what you were paid. And while you may not want to or need to earn money doing it, others feel differently. Giving away sports photography services harms the industry and makes it more difficult for those trying to earn a living. IMO, there's nothing wrong with taking shots for personal use or for charging a competitive rate. But when you give away the work it hurts the rest of us.

I'm not telling you what to do or not do. I'm only asking you to consider something you may not have thought about. An accountant wouldn't even consider offering free accounting services to the promoter of a tournament. But photographers do this all the time

Another way to look at it is this: like so many others, you gain in ability from the advice of more experienced shooters. Oftentimes the best advice is from those earning a paycheck from it . Turning around and using that advice / help in a way that undermines the livelihood of the profession is counter-productive to you and them. Short term they stop giving advice. Long term they give up sports shooting and move on to other things and the next generation of sports shooters suffers from their loss. If you're selling your work then it's a fair market and they can compete with you. But it's very difficult to compete with free. Especially when you're using the pros own advice on how to get better.

I'll get off my soapbox now. But please think about this before you work for 0.80 an hour again
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 11:49 AM   #3

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback John - I'm willing to listen to just about anything the experts have to say - even from the soapbox. I wouldn't ever want to do anything to harm the pros - especially those in this group that have helped me along so much! I guess I should clarify the scenario.. The promotor offered to waive my daughter's entry fee for me to photograph the event - just to get the pictures out there. He also included a link to my smugmug gallery in the tournament summary email that went out to everyone in the tournament and has agreed to put a link on the club website. I have my photos priced fairly and if the promoter or anyone else wants prints, they can buy them from my site.

So, the $.80/hour rate is so far, without anyone actually purchasing prints. And I'm certainly hoping to improve on that rate with some orders. You can check out the entire gallery, including the pricing for individual prints here:

http://photos.myschoenrock.com/gallery/5072575_T3GzX

Please let me know if this is more in line with your thinking or if I'm still way off base. This is all a learning experience for me...

Jason
Old Jun 2, 2008, 11:55 AM   #4

Jason,

Thanks for clarifying. Yes what you're doing is an acceptable approach IMO. People aren't getting the product for free. Some hard-nozed pros would argue you should never shoot on spec (speculation meaning you don't make money up front) but that's a bit too hard nosed in my opinion. As long as no one is getting free product it doesn't really harm the industry (although note to others: web use of photos without compensation is free product). Glad to see you've found a way to do what you love to do without undermining the industry
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:48 AM   #5

i agree with john big time, i turned down a newspaper job because they wanted to swap out me getting a media pass to all the big sports events, LSU, SAINTS, and whatever and i work for free!, i was like i need to feed my family, and gas unless you haven't noticed is rediculous, and i'm not rex tillerson or lee raymond, so i have to pay for gas!! and she said "well no one is indespensible" to which i replied "SEE YA!" this isn't directed at you at all just giving an example.

anyway, awesome shots!!!
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:10 PM   #6

i hope its ok to put a link to another site to make johng's point even more clear.

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1989
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:55 PM   #7

I think I've got the message. Anyone have any comments on the photos?

Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:21 PM   #8

Jason, I like your photos, although I think they could be sharpened a little more. The timing and intensity on the shots is great, particularly on #2 and #5.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:19 AM   #9

:-)I think your shots are very good. One aspect about them that might not be obvious is that they are shots of defensive play, and those are the hardest to get. Most of them have face, ball and action. I'd like to know just how you got them; sometimes I have to wait a very long time to get defensive shots. Well done.
jcdotcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 8:52 AM   #10

Thanks for the comments.

Paul, I tried to sharpen both of them a bit more and they both look good when zoomed out, but when I zoom in to 100%, there is a lot of noise created by the sharpening. What you see is sort of a balance between extra sharp and too much noise (IMHO). Any tips on how to get sharper without the noise?

Shooting volleyball is definitely a challenge whether is defensive shots or offensive. Since this was junior beach, there wasn't much in the way of offense, mostly rolls and free balls. I was using the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. I started the day shooting from half-court, but found that to be too tight in many cases. I finished shooting from just off the court on the end-line under the net.

Here's some offense: