Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:26 PM   #1

These pics are from the Collegiate Nationals a few weeks ago, the sun was bright and directly over head, so not ideal conditions but I got a few I think came out alright. Shooting w/ XTi and Sigma 70-300 f/4. C&C welcomed and appreciated.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"

Wintershooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2008, 4:06 PM   #2

Hi Steve, firstly I don't take kindly to hopefullyassessing pics that, when I click on them to enlarge, bombards me with pop ups!!. If you wish to show your shots please use a reputable agent such as photobucket/smugmug/flikr et al!! (maybe it's a one off until my web filters kick in!! hope so!). Anyway on to the pics,

IMO i feel that on most of the shots you where too far away from the action (something i'm suffering from with one of our national games (cricket).

ok break down IMOP!!

nothing standing out other than a few spectators looking at the mountains!!

nice action but needs focusing on the "receiver" of the disc.!!

To be honest!!, a waste of time!!. Subject too far away & too small in the overall scene

Absolutely nothing going for it!! Ditto #5??

contains some action but lacks cropping & p&p

Sharp image but leaves a viewer wondering what the f!!!!!!

bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 4:07 PM   #3

Hey winter, cool genre. I wouldnt have ever thought to shoot frisbee. Seems like itd be fun. Other than zooming up really close on the hot girls, LOL Id recommend you try shooting in the vertical(portrait) mode and try to get the subjects to fill in at least 2/3 of the frame. Having said that, the last one works in landscape form. Lets see some more!
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 6:22 AM   #4

bluesman graham wrote:
Quote:
Hi Steve, firstly I don't take kindly to hopefullyassessing pics that, when I click on them to enlarge, bombards me with pop ups!!. If you wish to show your shots please use a reputable agent such as photobucket/smugmug/flikr et al!! (maybe it's a one off until my web filters kick in!! hope so!). Anyway on to the pics,

IMO i feel that on most of the shots you where too far away from the action (something i'm suffering from with one of our national games (cricket).

ok break down IMOP!!

nothing standing out other than a few spectators looking at the mountains!!

nice action but needs focusing on the "receiver" of the disc.!!

To be honest!!, a waste of time!!. Subject too far away & too small in the overall scene

Absolutely nothing going for it!! Ditto #5??

contains some action but lacks cropping & p&p

Sharp image but leaves a viewer wondering what the f!!!!!!

Hi again steve, pop ups stopped and looking at the whole "game" you shot youhad some much better shots you could have picked!! try a little cropping and P&P on some more, some are really good!!

bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 9:53 AM   #5

OK,

Some general suggestions:

1. You need to frame much tighter on the action. You've got too much boring background and not enough sharpness and detail on the people.

2. Faces - shots from behind are almost never interesting. You want to be able to read the facial expressions - that means details in eyes/mouth area.

3. Need to blur distracting background - shoot at wide aperture, longest focal length but still close enough so you subject fills 2/3 of the frame.

4. Shoot more portrait orientation. The subject(s) are more vertical than horizontal in this sport - you'll end up with much better framing with portrait orientation (just remember to fill 2/3 of the frame with the subject)

Keep at it. As long as you keep practicing and keep seeking feedback you'll get better very quickly.

Different sports but the principles are the same - faces, action, subject filling frame and distracting background minimized. Note - I'm not trying to steal your thread just showing some photos to illustrate my points - hope you don't mind:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:32 AM   #6

Thanks for all the feedback guys I have some work to do but I think this is a decent starting point.

^^I like the softball pics above, are you able to pull that off with a lower level lens or are those shot with something akin to 'L' glass? I know part of the problem with sharpness has to do with the Sigma lens but every once in a while it gets a good one.

Steve

Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:40 AM   #7

Steve - the shots were with a Sigma 120-300 2.8 - yes it's an "L" caliber lens. So, with consumer glass you'll have some sharpness issues. But the points are still the same - shoot faces, shoot much tighter than you are currently shooting and maximize subject isolation by shooting at widest aperture, longest focal length but STILL filling the frame with your subject. In fact, it's even more critical to do all these with consumer grade glass because it will allow you to start off with the highest quality photos before post processing.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2008, 5:57 PM   #8

Perfect, that is some good advice and hopefully I will be able to show some improvement during my shooting of upcoming bike (MTB)races.

Thanks again,

Steve