Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jun 24, 2008, 5:04 PM   #1

Hi, it's my first time so thought I'd dive in at the deep end and post some photos. It's not often I've taken pictures at a hockey match in the SUN - or at least one of the days were!

#1 - Do I have to play in the rain??

#3 Ball won't stay still

#4 Go for the Gap!

swaagate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2008, 5:30 PM   #2

First off welcome to the forums! Good set of shots the only comments I will post are that in the first shot a tigher crop would be good. I love the expression on his face and out of the set I really like the second shot the best. good action, good composition.

Keep it up and keep posting

Best regards,

Phil
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 2:33 PM   #3

Hi Steve or Barry!, Welcome to the forum.Nice shots under the conditions, (usual in our area of the country)!!. May i ask What lens you used, as DOF is quite deep?. Maybe a narrower setting would highlight the ball players moreparticularly in #2 & 3, also as pointed out by K1par #1 would benefit from a crop!. # 4 & 5 IMO are too far away for the lenses reach! & #4 also being a little soft,

Keep posting!. Kind regards Graham.
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 2:39 PM   #4

Hi Phil

Thanks for the comments. I haven't done much cropping, but will hopefully get a chance at the weekend.

I will keep posting, as always helpful to get others opinions that will help me get better photos.

Regards

Steve
Old Jun 25, 2008, 2:46 PM   #5

Hi Graham

It's Steve, Barry is my brother but we share the website as he lives 'Oop North still' . Thanks for the comments. The tournament was in Nottingham last weekend. The lenses would be either a Sigma 70-300 APO and a Tamron 200-400. I was just trying different settings to see what results I could get under the conditions. I have been told the Tamron can be 'soft' - borrowed from brother for the weekend. I will keep posting to help learn and improve my pictures.

regards

Steve
Old Jul 2, 2008, 4:18 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Hi Steve,

You have got all the basics there and sorted so a nice series.

There are a couple of things that could help move you to the next level so if you get a chance check out http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=82

Good to see someone else shooting some hockey so hope to see some more.

Happy shooting,

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 7:09 AM   #7

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for the comments and the link. I will take a closer look this evening. I have been taking hockey pics for about 6 months and they are hopefully getting better. Unfortunately, I do struggle with timings to get the ball as close to the play as possible on occasions. But hopefully practice will tell, and I will post other pics soon. Have another match at the weekend, so keep an eye out.

Regards

Steve