Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:25 PM   #1

How do you attach more than one photo?
Attached Images

Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:21 AM   #2

Joe,

welcome to the sports forum. Here are some suggestions for a shot like this:

1. close down the DOF. 50mm at f10 is way too deep - the background here is very cluttered and distracts greatly from what's going on.

2. Frame tighter. There isn't anything interesting with the handler so the story is the dog. Frame much tighter on the dog and the jump. You want to see the expression on the dog's face. For other breeds you want to see muscle tone. It's details that make a shot good.

3. Get lower - you want to be at or below the level of the dog so sit or lay on the ground.

4. Timing - try to time the shot as the dog clears the bar - while he's still going UP not down. UP is usually a more interesting angle than down - but timing is critical you want the head and front paws over the bar. Just as with a human high jumper you want to capture the peak action of them just clearing the bar.

I'll throw this last one out based upon some of your other posts - abandon the whole frame loose and crop concept. It costs you way too much detail. You want the shot framed tightly in-camera.

Keep at it. And keep posting.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 10:29 AM   #3

Excellent suggestions John! I'm new at this, always learning. It's very nice to get some great constructive criticisms from folks.

Joe
Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:06 AM   #4

no problem Joe. You'll find it's a very helpful bunch here. Really a good place to learn if that's what you're after. Some people aren't and take constructive criticism the wrong way. And while I don't think there's anyone else here shooting dogs, many of the concepts are the same between animals and human action photography.

Looking forward to seeing more
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:06 PM   #5

Having seen many agility trials the only thing I would recommend is not to cut the guys head off. Maybe take in more of the course which means higher f stop and if taking in more of the course you definately don't want to be at the dogs level, you want to see, as a person would.

Taking a picture at the dogs level would include: over a jump or out of a tunnel. Then a close up would be best.

Well done stop action. Looking forward to more posts.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2008, 1:09 AM   #6

Thanks again John. I am totally here to learn. I appreciate any and all constructive criticism.:-)

Joe

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
no problem Joe. You'll find it's a very helpful bunch here. Really a good place to learn if that's what you're after. Some people aren't and take constructive criticism the wrong way. And while I don't think there's anyone else here shooting dogs, many of the concepts are the same between animals and human action photography.

Looking forward to seeing more
Old Jun 29, 2008, 1:12 AM   #7

This was taken at one of the first trials that I shot. I was trying to organize the shots by dogs and by handlers, that's why I even put the handler in the shot at all.
Since then, I've learned that it's way easier to organize my my shots by classes, i.e. Elite Jumper, Novice Weavers, etc...

Joe

ImKayd1 wrote:
Quote:
Having seen many agility trials the only thing I would recommend is not to cut the guys head off. Maybe take in more of the course which means higher f stop and if taking in more of the course you definately don't want to be at the dogs level, you want to see, as a person would.

Taking a picture at the dogs level would include: over a jump or out of a tunnel. Then a close up would be best.

Well done stop action. Looking forward to more posts.

Suzan