Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:35 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Hi All,

Not had much chance to shoot recently and not contributed to the board for a while so here are a few froma gym comp 2 weekends ago.

This is the 2nd time I've done an event in this gym and lighting is still terrible, the temperature cycle on the lights is silly and also two of them couldn't decide if they were going to work or not so not a lot of fun.

Anyway the setup for the day was Canon 1D MkIII with Canon 85mm f1.8, ISO 6400, 1/1000s,Canon 5D with Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L, ISO 3200, 1/200s and Canon 30D, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, ISO 3200, 1/200s.

C&C welcome.

Enjoy,

Mark

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:03 AM   #2

Nice shots. This does not look like the typical gymnastics meet though.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:12 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I should have mentioned that the Saturday was display gymnastics comprising of pairs or 3's and the Sunday was 'normal' floor and vault competition. I didn't shoot any vault as it is too fast and getting salable shots is not easy.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:12 PM   #4

hi mark, glad you posted! i have missed seeing your work, you are an inspiration! i'm using mozilla right now so i can't see the exif, did you use a custom white balance? the reason i ask, is i'm kinda working on that part my learning. i see many colors in your photos, the yellows stand out the most! and at 6400 iso did you use any noise reduction? the shots are awesome!!

i shot my little guy's indoor soccer game, with my 50mm 1.8 and was only getting 100 shutter, no matter how i set the white balance it was always off, the lighting is horrendous in that place and plus with that funky dark green fake grass it just absorbs all the light. and yes i was shooting them up close, because the 50 doesn't reach very far. glad you're back! john
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 3:42 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Hi John,

The Exif was my mistake, I hadn't realised I had switched it off from the save option so there is nothing there. I did use custom white balance but it was so orange in there that even the lowest setting on the 5D and 30D was not taking it out enough. With the MkIII I could take it lower so that was fine. Well when I say fine it was close but even so with the cycling of the lights the exposure and WB changed quite a bit so editing is still needed.

Yep, I've applied some noise removal with noiseware to get rid of the grain. Even so photos from this type of event are only offered at sizes up to 9x6 due to the noise.

Mark
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:12 PM   #6

Hi Mark,

I am a beginning DSLR user and am in the process of deciding on what lenses to get for a 400D to use in a similar situation as your gymnast shots. A couple of options are the Canon 85mm f1.8 (which I noticed you used) and the Canon 50mm f1.4.

Could you possibly indicate focal length, aperture and speed for the photos? Tired to check the EXIF but could not see it.

Did you use a flash on any of the photos?

Thanks for your help.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 3:38 AM   #7
Super Moderator

a-beginner wrote:
Quote:
Hi Mark,

I am a beginning DSLR user and am in the process of deciding on what lenses to get for a 400D to use in a similar situation as your gymnast shots. A couple of options are the Canon 85mm f1.8 (which I noticed you used) and the Canon 50mm f1.4.

Could you possibly indicate focal length, aperture and speed for the photos? Tired to check the EXIF but could not see it.

Did you use a flash on any of the photos?

Thanks for your help.
The only one here with the 85mm f1.8 is the 2nd and I think all others are with the 5D with the Canon 70-200mm f2.8. So I'm getting 1/1000s on this 2nd shot but with your 400D you would still only be able to work at 1/250s as you are limited to ISO 1600 (assuming same lighting conditions).

Flash is not allowed at gymnastics competitions so this is where the high ISO and fast lenses are needed.

Seriously the 50mm is not going to be long enough for most of what you want as you are only working at about 15ft.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 7:16 AM   #8

Very nice pictures. I have a question: At 6400 ISO, do you have to do alot of post processing of the photos to remove noise?
Ripsnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 7:20 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Ripsnort wrote:
Quote:
Very nice pictures. I have a question: At 6400 ISO, do you have to do alot of post processing of the photos to remove noise?
It's a batch process using noiseware. I only offer prints up to 9" x 6" from such events due to this, I could probably go higher but this is a safe size.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 7:35 AM   #10

Thanks for the reply.

Ah! I love noiseware! Learned about it on this forum a couple years ago.

Ripsnort is offline   Reply With Quote